Way back in the mid-1960’s, 1966 in fact, the state of Iowa entered into my consciousness. As a five year old at the time, it wasn’t much of a consciousness. All I really knew was Dad took a temporary job transfer and we’d be leaving Chicago to live in Iowa for a year.Over the next 15 months, we made several long car trips to and from western Iowa to Chicago. I remember always wanting to see the Mississippi River from the big window of our station wagon. All these years later, the Mississippi River still holds a grip on me, but for an altogether different reason. Now, historic river towns beckon with their architecture, scenery, and sense of place. And so it was as we traveled west on I-80, destination eastern Iowa wine country and one of our favorite weekend destinations – Dubuque, Iowa.Iowa WineIowa has a long history of grape growing and wine making, much like other midwestern states. The soil here is fertile and conducive to growing all sorts of crops, including grapes. In particular, the river valleys in Iowa’s western and eastern regions are perfect for vineyards.When Prohibition arrived in 1920, Iowa farmers turned to other pursuits and the wine… Read full this story
- Most watched TV show about wines to showcase Portugal in new season
- Wine fanzine which spawned into small London restaurant wins prize at prestigious World Restaurant awards
- Focus on Africa: Bobi Wine Boxing Day concert banned
- Le Manoir begins distribution of Romanian wines in France, prepares opening of new gastronomic store in Paris
- 'There was no night off, no glass of wine'
- How to visit two countries in a few days and with minimum amount of money
- The best day skiing ever? A wine-tasting tour of the Italian slopes
- Tomás Mac an tSaoir: ‘I’ve never had a country or people have such an impact on me as Sudan’
- Gary Barlow plans to build a huge new home in garden of £6m Cotswolds mansion after cancelling Take That tour
- King King singer and lead guitarist Alan Nimmo chats about their career and touring ahead of headline Norwich show
- House tour highlight of hectic fortnight
- Otago winemaker Providore's augmented reality tour a hit
Wine Tours - Iowa's Thriving Wine Country have 373 words, post on ezinearticles.com at August 14, 2008. This is cached page on Konitono. If you want remove this page, please contact us.