It is 8am. The GP surgery booking line has just opened. You ring. But it’s engaged. So you try again. And again. Sometimes hundreds of times. This is an experience endured by patients in many GP practices across Wales. This is a screenshot of one patient in Llanrumney, Cardiff, who was trying to get through to her GP unsuccessfully last month. Frustrating as it can be, this is only a symptom of the wider issues that face General Practice in Wales. We spoke to patients and practitioners about what was going wrong and what needs to be done. Here are some of the most common complaints we’ve received from patients about their local GP surgery: 1. ‘It takes ages to get through on the phone’ Anne Jones, a registered patient at Fforestfach Medical Centre, Swansea , said it is increasingly difficult and expensive to book an appointment over the phone. She said: “You get an automated response when you finally manage to get through and you’re kept waiting on the line listening to music for ages before a real person comes on the line. The process is very difficult if you’re working. “And you can’t make an appointment in… Read full this story
- GP surgery closures in UK 'hit all-time high' in 2018
- GP surgeries will offer DNA tests to patients to identify those at increased risk of disease
- As a doctor, I say it’s time to nationalise GP surgeries
- Exclusive: Doctors are ordered to stop half-day closing at surgeries and threatened with £40k funding axe if they fail to comply
- Ferry worker had to make 200 phone calls to get a doctor's appointment, sparking fears Britain's deepening GP shortage will lead to patient deaths
- More than 1 million patients forced to change GP since 2013
- 'We have too many posh doctors': London-based GP calls for medical schools to let in more students from poorer backgrounds 'who may be more caring'
- One in 10 GPs see twice as many patients as safe limit, survey finds
- NHS reforms: Is Andrew Lansley's brutal surgery really needed?
- Shortage of GPs will never end, health experts say
- GPs say 10-minute appointment with doctor is too short
- How to Make (and Sustain) a Good First Impression Every Time
'We have to call our GP surgery 250 times before we get though' have 364 words, post on www.walesonline.co.uk at February 20, 2019. This is cached page on Konitono. If you want remove this page, please contact us.