Đệ and his wife receive the certificate of merit granted by Thanh Hà District's authorities for their contribution to the vaccine fund. VNA/VNS Photo Tiến Vĩnh By Hoàng Việt Battle-hardened Vietnamese soldiers bravely fought foreign invaders during the anti-American war, and now a tough veteran is stepping up in the national fight against a deadly invisible enemy, COVID-19. Our hero is 75-year-old Lê Văn Đệ in Thanh Sơn Commune, Thanh Hà District, in the northern province of Hải Dương. Wounded in the war, Đệ has a deformed hand and pieces of shrapnel still remain in his body. But despite such hardships the former soldier has used his retirement savings as well as family money to donate VNĐ4.5 billion (US$196,000) to the national coronavirus vaccine fund. "Đệ is a war invalid and his wife is a retired teacher. They have led a decent life being kind to their neighbours," says Đoàn Văn Nằng, a Thanh Sơn resident. "This family of a veteran and teacher used to be the poorest in the village. Fortunately, their life has much improved over the years and they have supported others the most in our village," Nằng says. The ex-soldier has experienced several critical strokes over the years, the first of which was seven years… Read full this story
- Swedish Researcher Triggers Outrage by Labeling Jihadis 'War Veterans'
- War veteran attacked in Stockton after taking part in 'Fly the Flag' march
- ‘Inspirational’ Second World War veteran celebrates 100th birthday with surprise party
- Oldest Czech war veteran Andela Haida dies in Britain
- Tributes to war veteran who became a teacher
- War veterans attend Dromore High Remembrance events
- War veteran Pop's salute to heroes
- RAF 100: Seat-of-the-pants adventures for a Second World War veteran
- War veteran, DeKalb police officer, dies
- War veteran swaps guns for history scrolls
- Hounding of our heroes is disgraceful — we need a time limit on persecution for British veterans
- Politicians condemn Russian Embassy criticism of tribute to WWII battle
War veteran joins coronavirus battle have 330 words, post on vietnamnews.vn at July 25, 2021. This is cached page on Konitono. If you want remove this page, please contact us.