Quarantine officials disinfect the Shincheonji church in Daegu on Thursday as dozens of churchgoers were confirmed infected with the novel coronavirus. [YONHAP]Korea suffered its first fatality from the coronavirus out of China, and cases doubled in a single day to 104.Health officials announced 53 new infections Thursday, 51 from the country’s southeastern Daegu and North Gyeongsang regions and two from Seoul in what the government declared “the beginning of community transmissions in limited scope.”One patient who died at a mental hospital in North Gyeongsang Wednesday was posthumously confirmed a coronavirus patient Thursday, officials at the Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (KCDC) said, though it was not immediately known whether the virus led to his death. Further studies were said to be ongoing. It was the first time in Korea that a coronavirus patient died. Similar to the spike on Wednesday, many of the latest infections were linked to a church run by the Shincheonji religion, a controversial Christian sect, in Daegu visited twice by Patient No. 31 this month. The close proximity at which worshippers sit beside each other during services seems to have facilitated the spread, health authorities said.Vice Health Minister Kim Gang-lip said Thursday in a… Read full this story
- Suge Knight's lawyer claims victim Terry Carter was carrying a gun at time of fatal hit-and-run
- Number of Vaping-Related Lung Disease Cases Doubles As Clues Point to 'Chemical Exposure'
- Task Force Uses DNA Technology To Close 2 South Lake Tahoe Cold Cases
- The criminal case against Jeffrey Epstein has been officially dismissed
- Sisters claim swapping their vegan lifestyle for a RAW MEAT diet has cured their autoimmune disease - and feast on uncooked organs, suet and eggs every day
- Labour's plan for a four day working week in chaos as shadow health secretary Jon Ashworth categorically says it will NOT apply to NHS workers
- 5 Ways To Take Your St. Patrick’s Day Celebration To The Next Level
- Could this be the answer in the battle to beat the superbugs? Experts - and these families - believe viruses found in the most bizarre places may be the answer...
- Double your income: To follow or not to follow the wisdom of crowds?
- Ebola-ravaged Congo now hit with 87,000 suspected measles cases, officials say
- Scientists discover gut virus 'older than humanity' found in faeces samples from SEWERS could be used to treat Crohn's and diabetes
- Jeffrey Epstein will spend a week in jail before his bail hearing after claiming underage girls were 'prostitutes' - as FBI reveals trove of nude images of minors and a massage table with sex toys found at his $77M mansion
Virus claims victim, cases double in 1 day have 439 words, post on koreajoongangdaily.joins.com at February 21, 2020. This is cached page on Konitono. If you want remove this page, please contact us.