Vietnamese Grandmaster Nguyen Ngoc Truong Son won his first round match at the FIDE Grand Swiss 2019 chess tournament on October 10 in England.
Nguyen Ngoc Truong Son earned his first points at the FIDE Grand Swiss 2019 chess tournament in England:
Vietnam’s No 2 player defeated Allen Keith of Irelandafter 46 moves.
Son will next play Grandmaster Anton Guijarro Davidof Spain.
On the other table, Vietnam’s No 1 player Le Quang Liemtook an unexpected draw against GM Jorden Van Foreest of the Netherlands who islower than him in the world ranking.
Grandmaster Liem has 0.5 point and will face Grandmaster VasifDurarbayli of Azerbaijan in the second match.
After the first round, world champion Magnus Carlsenof Norway is in the leading position. He is followed by Spanish FabianoCaruana and Chinese Yu Yangyi.
Liem is placed No 19 while Son is ranked No 76 at thecompetition.
Thetournament runs for 11 rounds until October 22 with the winner taking a slot atthe 2020 Candidates’ Tournament. The winner of the Candidates’ Tournament willearn the right to challenge reigning champion Carlsen in a match for the worldchampionship in November 2020./. VNA
- PH chorale wins 1st Asia Choral Grand Prix
- Vietnam firm wins bid to ship 60,000 tons of high-quality rice to South Korea
- Lifestyle Admiring majestic Bach Ma Range in central Vietnam Award-winning photos exhibit stark social contrast in Vietnam
- Serena Williams Wins French Open, 16th Grand Slam Title
- A 43-minute film about a prostitute wins a Cannes Lions Grand Prix
- Humanium Metal Initiative Wins Cannes Lions Innovation Grand Prix
- Bottas wins season-opening Australian Grand Prix
- Vietnam to make active contributions to world’s peace, security: former diplomat
- Rugby World Cup 2019: Mapping England’s finalists
- VIETNAM NEWS HEADLINES NOVEMBER 1
- Police raid central Vietnam forest, arrest 40 gamblers
- Asian Games: Son's South Korea in football final after Vietnam win