An annual survey by Verizon’s security unit found that 19 percent of data breach attacks were connected to state-sponsored organizations in a sign that corporate espionage may be ramping. The data breach investigations report (DBIR) is based on 19 global companies, their attacks, forensics and reporting agencies. Overall, the report features 47,000 reported security incidents and 621 confirmed data breaches. Over nine years, the DBIR has documented 1.1 billion compromised records and 2,500 data breaches. Regarding state sponsored attacks, Mark Spitler, a senior security analyst at Verizon, said that the report “found quite a few” state sponsored attacks. Verizon determined that attacks were state sponsored based on known tactics, indicators of what was being examined and malware signatures. Cooperation and data sharing among participants also put the spotlight on state-sponsored attacks. On state sponsored attacks, Verizon said in its report: State-affiliated groups rise to the number two spot for the 2012 dataset, and there are several plausible explanations for this. On one hand, we saw a dip in financially motivated cases against small organizations in our dataset, and that dip allows other trends to become more pronounced. Another factor is the larger set of data sharing partners in this report… Read full this story
- Human error is a big security issue in data breaches, says study
- Careem's data breach is a threat to consumer rights, how can we protect ourselves?
- Data breach hits Saks Fifth Avenue, Lord & Taylor stores
- GDPR: how to report data breach
- Uber to update 'bug bounty' policies after 2016 data breach: executive
- Yahoo hit with class-action lawsuits over massive data breach
- Yahoo! agrees to pay $35mn penalty for data breach
- You'll be hearing more about data breaches in Alabama
- More than 347,000 HITECH Breaches Reported Since 2009
- Data breach 'a threat' to press freedom
- Equifax faces criminal probe after executives sold off stocks before disclosing data breach
- New EU fines will apply to 'old' data breaches
Verizon data breach report: State-sponsored attacks surge have 303 words, post on www.zdnet.com at April 23, 2013. This is cached page on Konitono. If you want remove this page, please contact us.