Siddhesh Veer has been named as replacement for Divyansh Joshi for the upcoming Under 19 World Cup to be held in South Africa. All-rounder Joshi sustained a shoulder injury while fielding during the one-day series against South Africa.
“India U19 all-rounder Divyansh Joshi has been ruled out of the upcoming World Cup following an injury sustained in the first match of the bilateral one-day series against host South Africa. Divyansh dislocated his right shoulder after suffering a fall while India U19 were fielding. The All-India Junior Selection Committee has named Siddhesh Veer from Maharashtra Cricket Association as Divyansh’s replacement,” the BCCI stated in a media release on Friday (January 10).
Veer, who was part of the India squad for the quadrangular one-day series, scored 71 opening the batting against New Zealand before striking an unbeaten 48 off 37 batting at No. 6 in the final against South Africa that India won by 69 runs.
India will play two warm-up matches – against Afghanistan on January 12 and against Zimbabwe on January 14 – before they begin their World Cup campaign against Sri Lanka on January 19. Placed in Group A, India will also play Japan on January 21 while their final group game will be against New Zealand on January 24.
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Pant cleared to join India squad at World Cup after Dhawan blow
- World Cup History: India's 1996 World Cup semi-final XI
- Why Pakistan lost to India, even before World Cup started
- Gilas Youth exits FIBA U-19 World Cup
- New Zealand stun India to reach World Cup final
- Ireland ease back to work in World Cup countdown
- Te'o simply didn't make World Cup grade: Jones
- Heaslip backs Conan to wear No.8 shirt at World Cup
- Heaslip backs Conan to wear Ireland's No.8 shirt at World Cup
- Women’s World Cup: Germany, Spain claim Group B wins
- Cricket World Cup history: Rahul Dravid, a model of consistency
- A 13-0 World Cup Rout? Thailand Is as Proud as Ever