(CNN)A study by UK epidemiologists predicts that attempts to slow, or mitigate — rather than actively halt, or suppress — the novel coronavirus could overwhelm the number of intensive care hospital beds and lead to about 250,000 deaths in the UK and more than a million in the United States during the course of the current pandemic. The study, which has not been published in a peer-reviewed journal, was released on Monday by London’s Imperial College COVID-19 Response Team, which says it is advising the UK government on its response strategy. The study says it used modeling that has informed the approach of the British government in recent weeks; on Monday, the government abruptly called on vulnerable and elderly Britons to isolate themselves for 12 weeks, and introduced a variety of social distancing and quarantine recommendations that days earlier seemed distant prospects. Also on Monday, President Donald Trump unveiled a 15-day plan to slow new infections in the United States, including more stringent recommendations about staying home and avoiding groups of 10 people or more, among other steps. An author of the study, Imperial College Professor Neil Ferguson, said in an email to CNN on Tuesday the study was given… Read full this story
- UK coronavirus cases rise by 10,321 in highest Saturday increase since February
- UK Coronavirus Tracker: Region-wise cases and deaths
- The Government's five red lines for easing UK coronavirus lockdown measures
- UK coronavirus death toll rises by another 569 to 2,921
- Sweden's coronavirus strategy: has 'culture of conformity' saved the country from COVID fatigue?
- SAGE's David King warns herd immunity still UK coronavirus strategy behind closed doors
- Coronavirus: Family pay tribute to 'wonderful great-grandad'
- Brexit, Drug Shortage, Communication Failure – Experts on Dangers of UK’s Second Wave of Coronavirus
- UK Covid cases rise by 27,125 as deaths shoot up by 27 – Delta variant rips through nation
- UK Covid deaths spike to highest level since April as new variant erupts – lockdown fears
- How does coronavirus really spread? Poll's worrying warning over hand sanitising
- Nick Ferrari in furious clash with caller planning China move to escape UK Covid 'cult'
US, UK coronavirus strategies shifted following UK epidemiologists' ominous report have 333 words, post on edition.cnn.com at March 17, 2020. This is cached page on Konitono. If you want remove this page, please contact us.