Video PlayerClose WASHINGTON, Jan. 13 (Xinhua) — The U.S. House convened Wednesday to discuss the article of impeachment against President Donald Trump, with a vote expected later on the same day. In a sign of heightened security, National Guard members assembled in the Capitol building in the morning, some tidying up their equipment while others lying on the floor of the Capitol Visitor’s Center to take a little rest. An hour before the chamber gaveled into session at 9:00 a.m. ET (1400 GMT), Speaker Nancy Pelosi on Twitter called for Trump’s immediate removal from office, saying the president’s “incitement of a deadly insurrection against the U.S. Capitol is without precedent in our nation’s history and an egregious violation of his oath of office.” “Fulfilling our oath to defend our Constitution requires that we act to remove him from office immediately,” the California Democrat said, tweeting via her “political account,” which has fewer followers than the one verifying her as Speaker of the House. The single article of impeachment to be voted today charged the president with “incitement of insurrection” over his role in last week’s riot at the U.S. Capitol, where a mob of his supporters breached the Capitol building,… Read full this story
- Trump, at Putin's side, questions US intelligence about Russian interference in elections
- In unflattering detail, Mueller report reveals Trump actions to impede inquiry
- The Latest: Cohen details ‘suspicions’ about Trump, Russia
- Trump's Ukraine dishonesty barrage continues. He made 96 false claims last week
- Donald Trump slams 'shameful' circus-like Corey Lewandowski hearing and says Democrats know he 'didn't do anything wrong' as his former campaign chief insists no one in Trumpworld committed a crime
- White House lawyer 'rushed to put Donald Trump's Ukraine call transcript on a classified server after Army colonel raised alarms about it'
- With McCabe firing, Trump risks stoking obstruction charges
- Former White House adviser objected to ambassador’s ouster
- Impeachment? Who are They Trying to Kid?
- On surviving the stresses of Trumptime
- The plot to subvert an election: Unravelling the Russia story so far
- Army colonel says push to investigate Biden concerned him
U.S. House starts session on Trump impeachment have 356 words, post on www.xinhuanet.com at January 14, 2021. This is cached page on Konitono. If you want remove this page, please contact us.