At least six people were injured and hundreds of houses were destroyed as Typhoon Matmo barrelled across central and south central provinces from Quang Ngai to Khanh Hoa on Wednesday. A local resident repairs his roof after the typhoon swept it away in the central province of Quang Ngai’s Mo Duc District. — VNA/VNS Photo Phuoc Ngoc Matmo, the fifth typhoon to make landfall from the East Sea this year, also uprooted thousands of trees. Statistics from Quang Ngai Province on Thursday showed that four people were reported injured and nearly 450 houses were destroyed during the typhoon. Data from the People’s Committee of Binh Dinh Province said the heavy weather had injured two, collapsed 144 houses and damaged a 2,000-metre stretch of sea defences. The initial damage was estimated at VND400 billion (US$17.3 million), said Ho Quoc Dung, chairman of the committee. In Phu Yen Province, initial statistics said the typhoon had caused a blackout in 72 communes, and only 11 had been reconnected so far. In Quang Nam Province, inundation and landslides, triggered by the typhoon, isolated Nam Tra My District with nearby areas. Weather warnings The National Centre for Hydro-meteorological Forecasting said the typhoon had weakened into… Read full this story
- Richard Jewell’s bravery saved hundreds from horrific Olympic bomber – so why was hero guard’s life ruined by the FBI?
- British prisoner with suspected coronavirus 'collapsed in his cell after returning from a jail in THAILAND' sparking outbreak fears at HMP Bullingdon in Oxfordshire as three inmates are tested
- Storm Ciara's 110mph winds smash across Europe, leaving 130,000 without power in France, cancelling hundreds of flights and causing widespread floods and damage
- Vietnam police shoot down suspect accused of killing 5 with AK rifle
- White House Officially Responds To Pelosi Ripping Up Trump’s Speech
- The 1971 Sylmar quake is keeping veterans homeless in L.A. in 2020. That may change soon
- Dresden Peace Prize honors 'napalm girl' from iconic photo
- How State repeatedly failed school pupils
- Death toll rises as storm moves eastward across Europe
- Fierce Storm Causes Deaths, Damage and Delays Across Europe
- Indonesia earthquake: at least 98 dead after quake strikes Lombok
- Indonesia earthquake: lack of equipment hampers rescue efforts
Typhoon Matmo injures 6, collapses hundreds of houses in Vietnam have 351 words, post on vietnamnet.vn at January 11, 2019. This is cached page on Konitono. If you want remove this page, please contact us.