Transportation before the airplane was the train which was an inexpensive way to travel around Europe. You could buy a monthly Inter-Rail ticket for a small fee of around £33 if you were 26 years old or younger and away you’d go. While the age limit of 26 no longer applies, the Inter-Rail is still one of the fun things to do.Youth hostels, the mainstay of youth in days past, have also relaxed their stipulation the age “young people”. We are all as young as we think nowadays and it’s reflected in travel and lodging everywhere. In the spirit of our travels in 1973, my friend and I thus set off to sleep in hostels when possible, find the ones we stayed in when we were younger and rode the Inter-Rail to see the countryside. We decided to adjust our route taking into account that Yugoslavia and West Germany no longer exist. We headed for Greece.We rode to Calais, arriving at an information desk and a kindly woman with information about where we might want to travel. She suggested an itinerary to Austria and tapped the keys of her computer asking me where we were headed.”Vienna,” I announced in broken… Read full this story
- Are the trains running today? New Year’s Day 2018 rail timetables to help beat the travel chaos
- First train travels along the Elizabeth Line at Abbey Wood ahead of its opening
- Rising rail fares risk ‘putting people off’ train travel, MP says
- Is there a train strike today? RMT walkouts continue for Northern Rail, South Western Rail, Greater Anglia and Merseyrail
- Easter train travel disrupted
- French rail strikes: The 37 days to avoid train travel in France this spring
- French rail strikes: Here are the 37 days to avoid train travel this spring
- 'Landmark' year for train travel in Newbury
- Train travellers lost 3.6 million hours thanks to delays and cancellations this year - and these are the worst networks
- New strike promises pain in Spain for train travellers on Sept 29
- Millennial railcard website crashes amid scramble for discounted train travel
- Virgin Trains kitchen pictured 'covered in rodent droppings' as rail union slams 'major hygiene issue'
Train Travel 1973 Repeated 2008 - Travelling By Train Using Rail Passes have 349 words, post on ezinearticles.com at April 2, 2008. This is cached page on Konitono. If you want remove this page, please contact us.