Menominee, Michigan, situated far from the world’s financial centers a hundred years ago, much as it is today, nevertheless placed itself directly in the middle of one of the hottest business booms of the early twentieth century – sugar. The small community that dared to plant a footprint in world commerce occupies a slivered point of land that dips into Lake Michigan at a point so close in proximity to Wisconsin that had a cartographer’s finger twitched at a crucial moment, Menominee would be in Wisconsin instead of Michigan.Menominee is bordered on the east by Green Bay, an arm of Lake Michigan, and on the south-west by the Menominee River. In 1903, many investors in the beet sugar industry had a timber background and had thus come to believe that the same rivers that had once delivered logs to sawmills in abundance could also serve the needs of a beet sugar factory where massive volumes of water are used for fluming beets into the factory, washing them and then diffusing the sugar from them. A sugar factory could easily put three million gallons of water to use every twenty-four hours. Barges can carry sugarbeets from the farm fields and freighters… Read full this story
- Sugar stocks no more a ‘le phataphat, de phataphat’ story. Here’s why
- 3 reasons behind the rally in sugar stocks
- New kiosk at River Oaks' Motherhood Center helps working moms keep breastfeeding
- Telling Stories of Slavery, One Person at a Time
- Little Island, a public park built by a billionaire, floats over Hudson River in NYC
- Sugar stocks on a sweet ride, but low volume turns analysts cautious
- Is buying sugar stocks for short-term a good idea?
- ED attaches sugar mill worth Rs 65 cr; links Maharashtra Dy CM Ajit Pawar in money laundering case
- Latrobe Valley coal mines to release water into nearby river
- How polluted is the River Derwent?
- ‘The Braided River: A Journey Along the Brahmaputra’ review: Rolling on the river
- These Japanese Companies Have Stayed in Business for Over 1,000 Years
The Story of the Menominee River Sugar Company 1903-1955 have 330 words, post on ezinearticles.com at June 18, 2009. This is cached page on Konitono. If you want remove this page, please contact us.