October 28, 2011 by WVUA Weather Leave a comment 20 Years ago today, the Perfect Storm was born. Not the movie but the real thing… Below is some info on this historic event. The 1991 Perfect Storm, also known as the Halloween Nor’easter of 1991, was a nor’easter that absorbed Hurricane Grace and ultimately evolved into a small hurricane late in its life cycle. The initial area of low pressure developed off Atlantic Canada on October 28. Forced southward by a ridge to its north, it reached its peak intensity as a large and powerful cyclone. The storm lashed the East Coast of the United States with high waves and coastal flooding, before turning to the southwest and weakening. Moving over warmer waters, the system transitioned into a subtropical cyclone before becoming a tropical storm. It executed a loop off the Mid-Atlantic states and turned toward the northeast. On November 1 the system evolved into a full-fledged hurricane with peak winds of 75 mph, although the National Hurricane Center left it unnamed to avoid confusion amid media interest in the predecessor extratropical storm. It later received the name “the Perfect Storm” after a conversation between Boston National Weather Service forecaster Robert Case and… Read full this story
- How 7 words unfit for TV fostered an open Internet 20 years ago today
- 75 years ago today, US Marines raised the American flag over Iwo Jima. Here's the inside story
- 75 Years Ago Today, US Marines Raised The American Flag Over Iwo Jima
- Team USA had its best Winter Olympic day ever, 10 years ago today
- Review: At the Rubicon Theatre, a family comes to terms with a sexual assault 20 years ago
- Vietnam holds memorial ceremonies for victims of 'worst in century' storm Linda, 20 years on
- NASA image reveals remains of an ancient lake that stretched 150,000 square miles across the Sahara 7,000 years ago - and it would have been the world's largest today
- The Dennis defences! Flood-hit Yorkshire towns load up on sandbags as impending 'perfect' storm threatens to be an even bigger MENACE than first feared with whole of UK pummelled by heavy rain and 80mph winds
- Winchester in the spotlight: the city where Jane Austen died 200 years ago
- SF corruption probe: Mayor Breed dated Nuru years ago, discloses ‘gift’ from him
- Rwanda genocide 20 years on: 'the killers are our neighbours now'
- Tristan Thompson's First Cheating Scandal Broke 1 Year Ago: How Khloé Kardashian Moved on
The Perfect Storm… 20 Years Ago Today in History… Friday Update 6:25 PM have 384 words, post on sky7weather.wordpress.com at October 28, 2011. This is cached page on Konitono. If you want remove this page, please contact us.