In 1988, a British mountain climber named Joe Simpson wrote a book called Touching the Void, a harrowing account of near death in the Peruvian Andes. It got good reviews but, only a modest success, it was soon forgotten. Then, a decade later, a strange thing happened. Jon Krakauer wrote Into Thin Air, another book about a mountain-climbing tragedy, which became a publishing sensation. Suddenly Touching the Void started to sell again. Random House rushed out a new edition to keep up with demand. Booksellers began to promote it next to their Into Thin Air displays, and sales rose further. A revised paperback edition, which came out in January, spent 14 weeks on the New York Times bestseller list. That same month, IFC Films released a docudrama of the story to critical acclaim. Now Touching the Void outsells Into Thin Air more than two to one. What happened? In short, Amazon.com recommendations. The online bookseller’s software noted patterns in buying behavior and suggested that readers who liked Into Thin Air would also like Touching the Void. People took the suggestion, agreed wholeheartedly, wrote rhapsodic reviews. More sales, more algorithm-fueled recommendations, and the positive feedback loop kicked in. Particularly notable is… Read full this story
- Quite a long tail
- Tail talks: decipher and decode The da vinci cat tail
- How Long Will ‘Old Town Road’ Stay at No. 1?
- Fairy Tail Game Producer Teases What Fans Should Look Out For
- Introducing Bach Long Vi island in northern Vietnam
- Are you having a giraffe? The secret to the long-necked animals' strong, skinny legs is a secret groove in their lower shin
- How Peacocks Got Their Colorful Tails
- Marmots Remember Long-Gone Predators
- Scotland Euro 2016 dream over after Poland’s sting in the tail
- Boruto Teases Kaguya's Long-Missing Partner
- review: A tail of individuality in oppressive Russia
- Calls for man who killed 420 wedge-tailed eagles to face charges under wildlife act
The Long Tail have 305 words, post on www.wired.com at October 1, 2004. This is cached page on Konitono. If you want remove this page, please contact us.