BARCELONA, Spain (AP) ” The Latest on the situation in Catalonia (all times local):3:10 p.m.Spain’s interim prime minister says that mass protests in Catalonia over the imprisonment of Catalan separatists are proof that illegal actions are punished in Spain but not political ideas.Pedro S�nchez is facing a general election in less than one month amid mounting tensions in the northeastern Catalan region over the conviction of a dozen separatist leaders.Speaking to reporters in Brussels after a meeting of European leaders, the Socialist leader said Friday that Spain guarantees freedom to protest but vowed to prosecute radicals who rioted this week.”The rule is clear,” S�nchez said. “Those who break the law have to answer for their deeds sooner or later.”He also urged Catalonia’s pro-independence government to stop ignoring the roughly half of the region’s 5.5 million voters who, according to polls and recent election results, want to remain in Spain.___12:05 p.m.The Spanish soccer federation has postponed next week’s marquee game between Barcelona and Real Madrid due to a fear of more street violence in Catalonia.Barcelona is the capital of Spain’s northeastern Catalonia region, which has recently seen clashes between police and protesters angered by a Supreme Court decision to sentence nine… Read full this story
- How a rapper's arrest in Spain sparked riots and fierce debate about freedom of expression
- Will High Vaccination Rates Help Spain Weather New Variant?
- Spain travel rules: British tourists to need Covid passport for popular holiday hotspot
- Spain holidays: Latest Foreign Office travel advice update as Spanish rules change again
- Brexit: British expats in Spain warned ‘clock is ticking’ ahead of key deadline
- Patience wearing thin! UK joins Spain in mounting pressure on EU
- 'No future role for European Court of Justice' PM plays hardball 'Gibraltar is 'British!'
- No, Priyanka Chopra, PM Modi, Akshay Kumar Didn't Get Jabbed for Covid-19 in Bihar
- Latest alarming UK election polls show major blow for Boris
- Omicron Covid variant news latest: Third UK case confirmed as Sajid Javid says England ‘nowhere near’ tough restrictions
- No Podemos coalition deal with Spain PM Rajoy
- Spain bans non-vaccinated British travellers amid Omicron Covid surge
The Latest: PM says Spain will punish rioters in Catalonia have 356 words, post on www.heraldtribune.com at October 18, 2019. This is cached page on Konitono. If you want remove this page, please contact us.