The oldest joke on record, a Sumerian proverb, was first told all the way back in 1900 B.C. Yes, it was a fart joke: “Something which has never occurred since time immemorial; a young woman did not fart in her husband’s lap.” Don’t feel bad if you don’t get it — something was definitely lost in time and translation (you have to imagine it was the Mesopotamian equivalent of “Women be shopping”), but not before the joke helped pave the way for almost 4,000 years of toilet humor. It’s just a shame we’ll never know the name of the Sumerian genius to whom we owe Blazing Saddles. But with the rise of comedy as a commercial art form in the 20th century, and with advances in modern bookkeeping, it’s now much easier to assign credit for innovations in joke-telling, which is exactly what Vulture set out to do with this list of the 100 Jokes That Shaped Modern Comedy. A few notes on our methodology: We’ve defined “joke” pretty broadly here. Yes, a joke can be a one-liner built from a setup and a punch line, but it can also be an act of physical comedy. Pretending to stick a needle in your… Read full this story
- Comedian Leslie Jones: 'SNL' Needs Fewer Trump Jokes
- Louis C.K. returns to Comedy Cellar one month after “comeback” performance
- Trevor Noah, French Ambassador Spar Over 'White Supremacist,' African Identity World Cup Joke
- Amber Ruffin revises her own joke on air, nails it
- Adam Sandler to don his finest sweatpants for 100% Fresher summer comedy tour
- Breaking stereotypes: India's women-only comedy show tackles bias
- 'He's not that funny!' Jackson Warne knocks his famous dad Shane Warne for his terrible jokes as they celebrate Father's Day together
- 100 Days In: How Hong Kongers Sustain Protests With Creativity
- Mysterious 'Sausage-Shaped' Creature With Dotted Eyes, Protruding Tail Baffles Internet
- Merkel Should Play Golf With Trump if She Wants Global Influence, Official Jokes as Germany Is Sidelined
- Ivanka Trump jokes that she has the 'hardest job in the world'
- Don't underestimate the value of comedy in the courtroom
The 100 Jokes That Shaped Modern Comedy have 345 words, post on www.vulture.com at January 31, 2016. This is cached page on Konitono. If you want remove this page, please contact us.