Giacomo Bologna Mississippi Clarion Ledger
Published 1:50 PM EST Jan 8, 2019
Sen. Terry Burton, R-Newton, told the the state Senate Tuesday he will be resigning his position as president pro tempore following a DUI arrest in December — his third DUI-related arrest in recent years.
“I’m turning it over to God, and I’m turning it over to the professionals I’m working with to deal with my personal issues, demons human frailties, whatever you want to call it,” Burton said.
Burton also announced that he will not be running for re-election this fall after decades in the Senate.
He made the announcement minutes after the 2019 legislative session was gaveled in, saying, “All good things must come to an end.”
Burton told his fellow Senators he hoped his actions did not reflect upon them.
He said he was thankful for the letters and words of support he has received.
“Literally thousands of messages, texts, emails, cards, letters, Facebook posts, tweets,” Burton said.
Said he was going to do the right thing, serve with dignity and honor. “
This senate is bigger than any one individual. It’s bigger than any successes or failures of one individual,” Burton said. “I truly respect the Senate.”
The Senate gave Burton a standing ovation following his brief speech.
More: Burton apologizes for being ’embarrassment’ after his latest DUI arrest
More: Will Terry Burton step down after having .14 blood alcohol level?
Burton was arrested on suspicion of driving drunk the night of Dec. 19.
The Mississippi Highway Patrol said troopers responded to a one-vehicle crash shortly after 9 p.m. on U.S. 82 near Starkville. They found a pickup driven by Burton in a ditch, according to a statement from MHP Sgt. Derrick Beckom. The senator was not injured.
Burton told the Clarion Ledger in December that the DUI arrest was a “misunderstanding.”
- Florida police officer suspended after arresting two 6-year-olds
- Tiger Woods’ girlfriend Kristin Smith ‘went on a £4,000 shopping binge when she heard news of the golf legend’s DUI arrest’
- DUI arrests down so far at the start of Labor Day weekend
- CHP reports 40 Labor Day Weekend DUI arrests
- Tiger Woods told to ‘sort his life out’ by Greg Norman after DUI arrest and painkiller addiction
- Car crash in Darien results in flames, DUI arrest
- Fulton Public Schools superintendent to retire next year
- School resource officer fired after arresting two 6-year-olds
- Legal experts claim athlete could be released on house arrest as six-year murder term is branded ‘an insult to women’
- Aquarium of the Pacific president and CEO to retire next year
- Wimbledon champ Marion Bartoli planning return to tennis aged 33 after retiring four years ago
- Boy, 16, arrested after 12-year-old girl was dragged into alleyway and raped in Manchester