Striker Phạm Hải Yến celebrates her gold medal at the SEA Games 30 this year. VNA/VNS Photo Hoàng Linh Football By Thanh Nga After scoring the winning goal for their country in a massive tournament, you’d expect most footballers to spend the next week celebrating. Phạm Hải Yến, though, is different. When the Vietnamese national women’s team striker returned home after heading in the extra time winner against arch rivals Thailand to secure gold at the 30th Southeast Asian (SEA) Games in the Philippines on December 8, she didn’t hit a club or splash out on a lavish meal. Instead, she lit some incense for her maternal grandmother. The 25-year-old was itching to return home to Nghiêm Xá Village, Thường Tín District in Hà Nội to pay tribute to a woman who helped Yến live her dream. Crucial goal Yến’s goal in the final was her first of the tournament, but it was by far the most important strike of all as it secured the 1-0 win and Việt Nam’s sixth title at the biennial tournament, one more than Thailand. At only 1.62m tall, Yến isn’t a physically imposing footballer, but her industrious and intelligent style of play means she’s… Read full this story
- New centrist party gets £50m backing to ‘break mould’ of UK politics
- Woolworths shoppers are warned about a new super MOULD taking over their popular Discovery Garden plants
- School pupil 'climate strikers' threaten to boycott the Royal Shakespeare Company over its 'sickening' sponsorship deal with BP
- Story of Suoi Giang shan tuyet tea in Yen Bai Province
- Phu Yen becomes 58th locality in Vietnam with African swine fever
- Hung Yen: Five garment firms ink collective labour agreements
- Toronto FC striker Jozy Altidore has second MRI before rejoining team in Atlanta
- Japanese Billionaire Breaks Retweet Record with Promise of $10,000 Each to 100 Twitter Users
- Happy “I’m Sorry We Shot Those Strikers” Day!
- UEFA Champions League: Luis Suarez Scores Twice As Barcelona Break Down Impressive Inter Milan
- Breaking up is hard to do: the truth about life after creative partnership
- Roborace breaks Guinness World Record
Striker Yến breaks the mould have 370 words, post on vietnamnews.vn at December 22, 2019. This is cached page on Konitono. If you want remove this page, please contact us.