FLINT (AP) – Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder has asked President Barack Obama to issue an emergency and major disaster declaration amid a drinking water crisis in Flint that began months ago. Snyder's office said in a statement late Thursday night it had asked for the declarations and is seeking additional federal aid for both individuals and public agencies involved in the effort to provide Flint residents with clean drinking water. READ MORE: Michigan Receiving $44.9 Million From FEMA For COVID-19 Response Flint's tap water became contaminated with too much lead after the city switched its water supply in 2014 to save money while under state financial management. Local officials declared a public health emergency in October. Residents already are being urged to use drinking water filters, which are being distributed for free along with bottled water. "We are utilizing all state resources to ensure Flint residents have access to clean and safe drinking water and today I am asking President Obama to provide additional resources as our recovery efforts continue," Snyder said in the statement. Snyder's request will be reviewed by the Federal Emergency Management Agency, which will advise the president on whether the declarations should be granted, the statement said…. Read full this story
- Flint water crisis: Living one bottle of water at a time
- Flint water crisis: Barack Obama says people 'short-changed'
- Flint water crisis: Prosecutors drop all criminal charges
- Another Manslaughter Charge Related to Flint's Water Crisis Shows It Isn't Over
- Michigan governor calls National Guard to help in water crisis
- Environment prize goes to Flint water activist
- Trump Will Sign Border Bill, Declare National Emergency
- Clinton-Appointed Judge Rules Trump’s Emergency Funding For Border Wall Unlawful
- Senate Lawmakers Vote Again To Stop President Trump’s Border Emergency
- India's ghost villages: Food and water scarcity forcing many to leave
- Meet Rev. Andy Bales — The Man Who Lost A Leg Serving The Victims Of LA’s Homeless Crisis
- Waters clashes with Trump officials over 'disastrous' housing plans
Snyder Asks Obama For Emergency Declaration In Flint Water Crisis have 323 words, post on detroit.cbslocal.com at January 15, 2016. This is cached page on Konitono. If you want remove this page, please contact us.