What was it like in Silicon Valley in 1956?Back then, the Valley lay in the shadow of San Francisco. If you wanted culture, glamor, or riches, you headed to the City. If you wanted farm life, you headed to San Jose. I exaggerate, but not by much. Hard as it is to imagine today, the Valley then was still tied closely to the soil. People knew how to grow things. Things like fruit. Not just as a hobby but as way of life. Above all, they knew how to can and pack that fruit. Not as home preserves but on a large, industrial scale. Before WWII, San Jose had fewer than 100,000 people. Yet no fewer than 18 canneries and 13 packing houses could be found in the Valley. This was then the largest canning and dried fruit packing center in the world. By 1956, this farm-based culture was still largely intact. Today, it is almost entirely gone.Those of us who have been here awhile may have caught fragments of the old life. I remember doing a summer stint as a student at the Del Monte Cannery off Auzerais Avenue, circa 1970, in which my fingers turned prune-like as I… Read full this story
- Sundar Pichai Birthday: Here's A look At The Journey Of A 'C-Grader' From IIT To The Silicon Valley
- SWAT teams to protect Silicon Valley
- Giant Companies Are Scooping Up Startups Before Their IPOs. What Silicon Valley Wishes Would Happen Instead
- Silicon Valley Season 5: Big New Pied Piper, Same Old Problems
- The fastest-growing Bay Area job zone isn't SF or Silicon Valley - it's the Tri-Valley
- Silicon Valley’s Start-Up Machine
- How Sweden became the Silicon Valley of Europe
- Beijing approves plan for Greater Bay Area to rival Silicon Valley in the United States
- One of Silicon Valley's largest hospitals hits full capacity after COVID surge in California
- Silicon Valley wants to develop mind-reading tech. We need to regulate it first.
- Silicon Valley gets an Indian-American Congressman
- A Silicon Valley School That Doesn’t Compute
Silicon Valley Circa 1956 - A Valley That is No More have 324 words, post on ezinearticles.com at May 20, 2009. This is cached page on Konitono. If you want remove this page, please contact us.