N. Ramesh Kumar, whose five-year tenure as the State Election Commissioner (SEC) was cut short by an ordinance brought by the government on Friday nig challenged it in the Andhra Pradesh (A.P.) High Court (HC). He appealed for declaration of the ordinance (No.5 of 2020), and the G.Os through which Madras High Court retired judge V. Kanagaraj was appointed as his successor, as unconstitutional. ‘Abuse of power’Mr. Ramesh Kumar argued that the government did not give reasons for its sudden decision and that it abused its power with the sole intention to shunt him out of the top post. He insisted that there was no justifiable ground to issue the ordinance. Moreover, the local body election process initiated by him has not been completed due to the crisis precipitated by COVID-19. The arbitrary manner in which the government reduced the tenure of SEC amounted to encroaching upon the independence of the Constitutional body, the former SEC stated. ‘Govt’s plan to hush up’Mr. Ramesh Kumar said going by Justice Kanagaraj’s taking charge as SEC before the matter reached the court exposed the government’s plan to hush up things. The basic objective of his removal was to punish him for taking action… Read full this story
- BCCI's decision to forbid wards of Railway employees from playing challenged in High Court
- He was missed by many before the SEC snagged him. Now expectations are high in 2018
- How do you replace a legend? This high school is figuring it out on the go.
- Was the SEC unfair to UK with its ‘storming the field’ fine?
- Dutee is quick in analysing both her opponents and herself, reveals Nagapuri Ramesh
- SEC football hits important middle as basketball celebrates its start
- TCU Basketball to host Florida in Big 12-SEC Challenge
- Suit by Tata Group minority shareholders on Nusli Wadia's removal adjourned
- Delhi-Gurgaon Expressway Now Toll Free After Delhi Court Order
- Ohio Supreme Court Clears Anti-Speed Camera Referendum for Vote
- Former Bell standout still chasing greatness despite physical challenges
- Challenging the conventional wisdom on each top-25 team
Sacked A.P. SEC Ramesh Kumar challenges his removal in High Court have 337 words, post on www.thehindu.com at April 12, 2020. This is cached page on Konitono. If you want remove this page, please contact us.