The Shincheonji church has become synonymous in Korea for the role it played in the outbreak of the coronavirus. While little is known about the secretive sect’s members, a striking statistic was revealed by the Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (KCDC) earlier this month. “Among the patients in Daegu, a majority of them are in their 20s,” said Jung Eun-kyeong, director of the KCDC, in a press briefing on March 2. “We think it has to do with the fact that women in their 20s and 30s make up a majority of the Shincheonji members who have tested positive.”According to a report released about the group on Feb. 29, put forward by Eschatological Bureau, a group of researchers who studied the sect for years, as many as 35 percent of Shincheonji’s 210,000 members in Korea may be in their 20s or 30s. If that’s true, it accounts for more than 70,000 young adults in Korea.To find out more about what may be drawing in the younger recruits to the group, the Korea JoongAng Daily recently spoke with two young adults who were previously members of the Shincheonji Church of Jesus. Kim Choong-il learned about the group through an… Read full this story
- Boarding school in England funnels students into Scientology’s most secretive sect
- Ex-member of polygamous sect testifies in child labor case
- A night on the town ends with young lives cut short
- Kerry Washington stuns on cover of Glamour, talks secret wedding: 'I'm walking around in the world with my ring'
- 2 Pussy Riot members flee Russia to escape arrest over protest against Vladimir Putin
- Queens GOP members hold secret meeting in an effort to mend bitter divide
- Therapists in schools help save young lives
- SEE IT: Video shows tense confrontation between Hillary Clinton, Black Lives Matter members
- Miracle Matches: 2-way kidney swap saved 2 young lives
- Bright young lives & how far they fall
- 'F&F' Friday: Francisco Nunez Changing Young Lives Through Music
- Chile: Police search for sect members accused of burning newborn alive
Rebuilding their young lives after Shincheonji: Former members talk about the secretive sect and how they escaped have 341 words, post on koreajoongangdaily.joins.com at March 26, 2020. This is cached page on Konitono. If you want remove this page, please contact us.