New Delhi: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Monday congratulated Indian-American Abhijit Banerjee on winning the Nobel Prize for Economics, saying he has made notable contributions in the field of poverty alleviation. Banerjee shared the award with his French-American wife Esther Duflo and another American economist Michael Kremer for their “experimental approach to alleviating global poverty.” “Congratulations to Abhijit Banerjee on being conferred the 2019 Sveriges Riksbank Prize in Economic Sciences in Memory of Alfred Nobel. He has made notable contributions in the field of poverty alleviation,” Modi wrote on Twitter. He also congratulated Esther Duflo and Michael Kremer for wining the Nobel. Born in Mumbai, the 58-year-old economist is currently the Ford Foundation International Professor of Economics at the US-based Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). He studied at the University of Calcutta and Delhi’s Jawaharlal Nehru University before receiving his PhD in 1988 from Harvard University.
- Gujarat election: Indian PM Narendra Modi faces big test in home state
- Modi becomes first Indian PM to visit West Bank
- India not working to isolate Pakistan, claims Modi
- Modi helps 'Ambulance Dada' to click a 'perfect selfie'
- PM to make ‘Invest in Pakistan’ pitch at Davos gathering
- PM stars in Hindi music video designed to appeal to British Indian voters
- Humans of Hindutva Facebook page taken down
- Selfish lefties like Sadiq Khan are putting themselves before the national interest as they seek to deny Donald Trump’s visit
- Fifth war with Pakistan is not the solution to a peaceful Kashmir: Farooq Abdullah
- Indians prefers military rule, suggests study
- Will India's Gujarat vote herald Rahul Gandhi as national leader?
- Spurred on by first medal female Indian skier targets Olympic summit
PM Narendra Modi congratulates Abhijit Banerjee, others for winning Nobel have 265 words, post on economictimes.indiatimes.com at October 14, 2019. This is cached page on Konitono. If you want remove this page, please contact us.