Prime Minister Narendra Modi has assured Sri Lanka of immediate supply of fertilizer, the Sri Lankan President has said, as the island braces for a food crisis amid a crushing economic meltdown . "President Gotabaya Rajapaksa has said that Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi has agreed to provide the fertilizer required for the Yala season cultivation immediately," Mr. Rajapaksa's office said. The fertilizer will be supplied under an "Indian loan facility" and is scheduled to be distributed to farmers within 20 days after the consignment arrives, according to a statement issued on the night of June 1. India is yet to make any official statement in this regard. Official sources told The Hindu that New Delhi is considering the request from Colombo and "discussions are on." Faced with a dollar crunch for months, Sri Lanka has been struggling to pay for essential imports, including food, medicines, fuel, and LPG. As the island's crisis further escalated this year , India extended crucial assistance, of about $3.5 billion, by way of credit lines for imports, loan deferments, and currency swaps. On whether the fertilizer would be supplied as part of existing credit lines, or with a new one, an Indian official said:… Read full this story
- PM Modi Assures Sri Lankan President Rajapaksa of Fertiliser Supplies Amid Worsening Food Shortages
- Sri Lanka economic crisis: PM Ranil Wickremesinghe thanks India for support amid 'difficult period'
- India to supply 65,000 MT of urea to Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka to receive 65,000MT of urea from India
- Sri Lanka food crisis: PM Narendra Modi assures President Gotabaya Rajapaksa of fertiliser supply
- Newly Sworn-In Sri Lankan PM Thanks PM Modi For India's Aid, Seeks 'Closer Relationship'
- USAID admin calls PM Wickremesinghe, offers support to overcome Sri Lanka crisis
- Sri Lanka crisis: India an elder brother, PM Modi a generous man, Ranatunga heaps praise on neighbour
- Sri Lanka crisis: Indian High Commission denies stopping issuance of visas, says 'committed to facilitating ease of travel'
- Sri Lanka is counting on more help from India till the cheque from the IMF arrives
- Socialist Sri Lanka Seeks to Create Private Sector to Prevent Famine
- Sri Lanka PM Wickremesinghe says his aim is to save crisis-hit Sri Lanka, not a family
PM Modi assures Sri Lanka of immediate supply of fertilizer have 362 words, post on www.thehindu.com at June 2, 2022. This is cached page on Konitono. If you want remove this page, please contact us.