SWINDON 1952: The president of Blunsdon Women’s Institute told members at their monthly meeting that many local people were unhappy at press reports suggesting villagers were happy with their bus shelters. In fact, said Mrs E Francis, the shelters – converted railway carriages – were in a disgraceful state. Members agreed to send a letter to the parish council, asking for new shelters to be built. 1952: The recently-widowed Queen sent a letter to Rodbourne Community Centre Silver Threads Swindon, an organisation for senior citizens, thanking them for their message of condolence at her loss. The letter was read out at a meeting of the group, and later there was music in aid of the outing fund, provided by Jimmy Smart’s accordion band. 1962: A Swindon band, the New Don Jones Music, had formed only five months earlier but had already been invited to appear on BBC radio. The band was due to head for the corporation’s Bristol studios the following month to take part in an as-yet unnamed musical series. The group had originated from the former Don Jones Orchestra. 1962: Visiting the nearest Dr Barnardo’s homes at Hatherleybrake and Badgeworth Court near Chippenham, members of the Swindon branch… Read full this story
- Parkland survivors will mark the 1-year anniversary of the shooting with 'a day of service and love'
- Parkland survivors mark the 1-year anniversary of the shooting with 'a day of service and love'
- Cicero stabbing: Teen suffers life-threatening injuries, two days after girl, 15, dies
- Celebrate Valentine's Day with free food and deals
- Manitowoc Post Office hosts Passport Day Saturday
- 'Thorough' six days leave Phillip Fulmer with Jeremy Pruitt as next UT Vols head coach
- 7 days from fringe to mainstream: How a conspiracy theory ricocheted around the web
- Through our eyes: Best images of 2018
- 2018 in photos: The Independent Mail's best visual journalism this year
- 'I know Putin.' How a drumbeat of 2018 revelations shadows Trump's presidency
- Top sports moments in 2018 in Fort Collins and Windsor
- Favorite images of 2018: Southern Utah photographers share stories behind the photos
ON THIS DAY: Wednesday, February 14 2018 have 328 words, post on www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk at February 13, 2018. This is cached page on Konitono. If you want remove this page, please contact us.