Jennifer Ann Jasmaine, 44, is suing Lanesboro Correctional Institution in North Carolina over the right to practice witchcraft. (Associated Press) A transgender inmate is suing a North Carolina prison over the right to practice witchcraft. Jennifer Ann Jasmaine is suing the all-male Lanesboro Correctional Institution for violating her constitutional rights by dictating when, where and how she can practice Wicca, a religion based on ancient pagan beliefs, the Charlotte Observer reported, citing a lawsuit filed this month. The 40-year-old argues that Christian and Native American inmates at the facility are allowed to practice their respective religious beliefs, while chaplains block her from practicing witchcraft. Jasmaine also claims Lanesboro refused to provide her with the necessary food required for the Wiccan diet. State policy says North Carolina prisons “shall provide access for approved religious services or practices and pastoral care.” Inmates wanting to practice a religion not recognized by the prison system must fill out a religious assistance request form – something Jasmaine says she did a month ago. In addition to the food, Jasmaine has also asked the prison to provide the proper clothes and religious items needed to conduct the services she wants to hold twice a week…. Read full this story
- Weinsteins Among CEOs Calling For Repeal Of North Carolina’s Anti-Gay Law – Update
- NBA Moves 2017 All-Star Game Out Of North Carolina To Protest Anti-LGBT Law
- Rob Reiner Calls Out North Carolina As Next Anti-Gay Law Battlefront For Hollywood
- Is North Carolina's Strict Voter-ID Law Constitutional?
- Big businesses side with Democrats in clash over voting rights
- 15 Notable Books And Resources That Are Banned From US Prisons
- Inmates Use Cats to Smuggle Drugs Into Prisons in Panama
- US to probe Minneapolis police practices
- Bernie Sanders compares felons voting to women's suffrage and civil rights movements
- When was Madison Cawthorn’s car accident and is he paralyzed?
- 5 Best and Worst Trans Moments of 2016
- 12 Books That Incarcerated People In The US Have Been Banned From Reading
North Carolina transgender inmate suing prison over right to practice witchcraft have 316 words, post on www.foxnews.com at April 26, 2018. This is cached page on Konitono. If you want remove this page, please contact us.