Published 8 June 2020 Share close Share page Copy link About sharing A bill introducing “no-fault” divorces in England and Wales has been backed by MPs. It passed its first hurdle in the Commons by 231 votes to 16 against, following a debate. Currently, in order to start divorce proceedings immediately, one spouse has to allege adultery, unreasonable behaviour or desertion has taken place. Under the proposed law, they will only have to state that the marriage has broken down irretrievably. Wife loses Supreme Court divorce fight If divorce is easier, do more people split? The Divorce, Dissolution and Separation Bill – which has been passed by the House of Lords – also removes the possibility of contesting the decision to divorce. At the moment, someone wishing to obtain a divorce without the consent of their spouse must live apart from them for five years. Divorce proceedings will still be challengeable on certain grounds including fraud and coercion. Currently fewer than 2% of divorce cases are contested. The bill also introduces a new option, allowing couples to jointly apply for a divorce, where the decision to separate is a mutual one. And it replaces the terms “decree nisi” and “decree… Read full this story
- Miley Cyrus and Liam Hemsworth finalize their divorce as eight- month marriage is ended over 'irreconcilable differences'
- Brexit chaos isn't all my fault, says David Cameron: Ex-PM pins blame on Theresa May and MPs who voted against her deal but admits he is 'haunted' by his referendum defeat
- Bumpy Road to UK-EU Divorce: Pivotal Moments Leading Up to Brexit
- European MPs set seal on Brexit in emotional vote
- Denis MacShane resigns as MP over expenses
- Their last show of unity: Tom Cruise and Katie walk hand-in-hand together two weeks before Holmes files for divorce
- ‘I've gained a best friend’: readers on getting on with ex-partners after divorce
- A rapping shadow minister, a frontbencher who told an activist to 'get on your knees b****’, a mace-grabbing backbencher and a Green MP who suggested an all-female Cabinet to solve Brexit: Meet the opposition MPs who sparked late-night Commons chaos
- Wendy Williams is officially a single woman as she finalizes her divorce from ex husband Kevin Hunter after 22 years of marriage
- Liar Cameron must go! Tory MP condemns 'untrustworthy' PM over EU referendum campaign and has ALREADY sent letter demanding leadership contest
- Katie Price's divorce from Kieran Hayler 'will be finalised in a matter of weeks'... after her ex 'took out a £10k loan to officially end their marriage'
- Throwing Out The Dead Wood: How Many MPs Could Be Deselected Before UK General Election?
'No-fault' divorce bill backed by MPs have 418 words, post on www.bbc.co.uk at June 8, 2020. This is cached page on Konitono. If you want remove this page, please contact us.