Name: Elin FlygenringTitle: Ambassador of Iceland (since January 2018)URL: www.iceland.is/iceland-abroad/jp/englishDOB: May 12, 1957Hometown: Hafnarfjordur, IcelandYears in Japan: Less than a yearWith a population of just 336,000, on the surface the Nordic nation of Iceland may not seem to have much in common with Japan, which has 380 times as many people. However, Iceland’s new Ambassador Elin Flygenring sees many parallels between the people and cultures.Japan is Flygenring’s first posting outside Europe. When she spoke with The Japan Times at Iceland’s embassy, she had been in the position for just a month. She said that while it has been a whirlwind of activity so far, she already feels at home here.“I had previously made several visits for the Aichi Expo in 2005, as we had a Nordic pavilion. From the start, I found there were certain connections between Iceland and Japan,” she recalled. “Both are island countries with a love of nature (and) fish. We have similar political and social values in terms of democracy and public security, too.”Another commonality is geothermal energy, and Iceland has made great progress in the production and use of this power source that is both environmentally friendly and sustainable. Flygenring spoke with pride of this… Read full this story
- Bilateral relations: Motiwala for patching up trade ties with Kabul
- South Korea's president sees 'chance' with North
- Immigrant children see big improvements in school results
- Rory McIlroy sees big improvement in his putting
- 'Bilateral trade between Pakistan, Afghanistan has dropped by $2b'
- China's role crucial for Pak-Afghan relations: Khawaja Asif
- Russia's Vladimir Putin hopes for better relations with US, West
- A year of Trump fails to improve US-Russia ties
- OPINION: Why good relations between Norway and Russia are necessary – and achievable
- Hurdles remain to rebuild damaged relations with Turkey, says Merkel
- Pakistan, Russia ties improving due to government's effective foreign policy: Khawaja Asif
- South Korea sees 'groundbreaking' chance in talks with North
Newcomer sees chances to improve bilateral relations have 312 words, post on www.japantimes.co.jp at May 27, 2018. This is cached page on Konitono. If you want remove this page, please contact us.