With the forthcoming departure of Annegret Kramp-Karrenbauer as party leader, the Christian Democrats (CDU) are staring into an abyss of uncertainty as Chancellor Angela Merkel approaches the end of her era-defining tenure. What’s worse, the ensuing identity crisis could last years, if the experience of the Social Democrats (SPD), Germany’s other big-tent centrist party, is anything to go by. Transitional periods ought to be a good moment for a party’s young guns to make hay. That’s what the SPD has found out: Kevin Kühnert, the 30-year-old who heads the SPD’s youth wing, the Jusos — short for young socialists — has often forced the debate in his party by making provocative declarations, such as suggesting that German automakers could be expropriated. Kühnert’s influence on his party’s rank and file is clear. When the previous SPD leadership, Andrea Nahles, resigned in June 2019, it was the candidates Kühnert favored, Saskia Esken and Norbert Walter-Borjans, who surprised many by succeeding her, pushing the party in a slightly less centrist direction — and potentially threatening the coalition with Merkel. Germany’s CDU: Who are the top candidates? Armin Laschet: Affable state premier Laschet, a trained journalist and former European Parliament member, has headed Germany’s most populous state of North Rhine-Westphalia since 2017. The liberal-conservative… Read full this story
- Merkel Party Mulls Bringing Back Draft to Heal Social Divisions
- Merkel Party Member Tells Germans Not to Be Worried About Becoming a Minority
- Los Angeles and an Identity Crisis Helped Shape Vaquera's Spring Collection
- Hamptons fest deals with identity crisis
- Under Armour is facing an identity crisis that could throw the company’s turnaround into a tailspin
- New York Times: How a Pentagon Contract Became an Identity Crisis For Google
- Google Assistant is having an identity crisis
- Having an identity crisis? How to manage access for every level of user, from your CEO to your customers
- McDonald's president reveals how the chain is managing a potential fast-food identity crisis (MCD)
- Analysis: Is the party over for Five Star's leader?
- Past Their Sell-By Dates, Merkel and May Cling on to Power with Plot and Process
- Merkel Coalition Set for Another Battering in Hesse Elections
Merkel's party struggles with identity crisis in wake of CDU leader's departure have 367 words, post on www.dw.com at December 2, 2020. This is cached page on Konitono. If you want remove this page, please contact us.