KUALA LUMPUR (Reuters) – Anwar Ibrahim, Malaysia’s prime-minister-in-waiting, denied on Thursday that he had sexually assaulted a former male aide, describing the accusation as “politics at its worst” days before his ruling party’s annual congress. FILE PHOTO: Malaysian politician Anwar Ibrahim speaks during the Singapore Summit in Singapore, September 15, 2018. REUTERS/Edgar Su/File Photo On Wednesday, a statement issued by Anwar’s former aide, Muhammed Yusoff Rawther, accused the former deputy premier of attempting to force him to have sex in September last year. Reuters could not immediately reach Muhammed Yusoff, but he read out the allegations in a Facebook Live broadcast on Wednesday. His statement was made to a law officer, according to a copy seen by Reuters. Anwar has spent nearly a decade in jail on two separate counts of sodomy and for corruption, charges that he and his supporters maintain were aimed at ending his political career. “I heard about this a month ago. It’s not new, attempts to try and influence and bribe or whatever, but this is politics at its worst,” Anwar said on Thursday. “Our congress is in two days, so you should anticipate all these sorts of things.” The latest allegations come at a… Read full this story
- Brett Kavanaugh Claims Past Virginity As Defense Against Sexual Assault Claims
- Republicans Appear Ready To Push For Brett Kavanaugh Vote Despite Sexual Assault Claim
- Rauner: Sexual assault claims against Kavanaugh 'very serious'
- Trevor Noah on Kavanaugh: Republicans Are 'Normalizing Sexual Assault' for Political Ends
- Soon-Yi Previn Dismisses Woody Allen Sexual Assault Claims, Says Mia Farrow Abused Her
- Chris McDaniel on Brett Kavanaugh: Sexual assault claims 'fabricated'
- Brett Kavanaugh Nomination Moves Ahead Despite Sexual Assault Allegations
- Christine Blasey Ford's Friend Doesn't Deny Assault Claim, Lawyer Says
- #HimToo Is The #AllLivesMatter Of Sexual Assault
- CNN's Kirsten Powers' Op-Ed: I Thought My Sexual Assault Was My Fault
- Christine Blasey Ford Is The 'Perfect' Accuser. Most Sexual Assault Survivors Are Not.
- Kavanaugh Controversy Rekindles Pain For Sexual Assault Survivors
Malaysia's Anwar says sexual assault claim is 'politics at its worst' have 323 words, post on www.reuters.com at December 5, 2019. This is cached page on Konitono. If you want remove this page, please contact us.