BATON ROUGE, La. (AP) — Gov. John Bel Edwards has signed a Republican-crafted plan to spend $300 million in federal coronavirus aid to help small businesses recover from the outbreak The dollars come from direct federal aid allocated to Louisiana by Congress to respond to the COVID-19 disease Edwards intended to steer about $811 million of the federal assistance to local government agencies — such as city councils, parish police juries, sheriffs’ offices and more — to reimburse them for virus-related expenses. ADVERTISEMENT Republican state lawmakers chose to divvy that money up differently, carving out $300 million for small business grants and using the remaining $511 million to reimburse municipalities for their virus spending. The bill by Sen. Mack “Bodi” White Edwards’ spokeswoman Christina Stephens confirmed Monday that the Democratic governor signed the measure into law. While Edwards agreed to create the business grant program, he vetoed a separate measure The governor, who has unsuccessfully sought to raise Louisiana’s minimum wage, objected because the payroll subsidy wouldn’t have prioritized higher-paying jobs and instead would allow any business creating five new, minimum-wage jobs to qualify. In his veto message, Edwards called such an incentive “contrary to the sentiment of the people… Read full this story
- Business titans fight shy of Saudi’s trillion-dollar charm offensive
- VIETNAM BUSINESS NEWS HEADLINES OCTOBER 30
- VIETNAM BUSINESS NEWS HEADLINES OCTOBER 29
- Chatfield: GOP seeks ‘consensus plan’ to fix roads
- Gov. Cuomo tries shielding New Yorkers from GOP tax law, in possible model for Democratic-controlled states
- 'We're not electing a planner': Joe Biden snipes at Elizabeth Warren's 'I have a plan for that' campaign as she overtakes him in Democratic primary polls
- Biden’s ‘Incremental’ Health Plan Still Would Be A Heavy Lift
- US official reveals Atlantic drilling plan while hailing Trump’s ability to distract public
- Trump’s request for $7.9 billion in Harvey aid expected to be swiftly approved
- Detroit prepares loans to help Avenue of Fashion businesses
- U.S. sues after California signs net neutrality law
- National Broadband Plan B: Is semi-State intervention viable?
Louisiana governor signs GOP’s $300M small business aid plan have 324 words, post on apnews.com at June 15, 2020. This is cached page on Konitono. If you want remove this page, please contact us.