MANILA, Philippines — Let’s face it. Filipino people just love to party. Merriment seems to be our middle name, as evident by the number of festivals we have throughout the year. Throngs of people descend on the various festivals across the country in search of music, booze and what have you. It is, therefore, not surprising that Filipinos have adopted Oktoberfest, the world’s largest beer festival that originated in Munich, Germany, with so much fervor and enthusiasm. The Philippines has only celebrated it in the recent years, but its history runs deep. In the early 19th century, when Crown Prince Ludwig married Princess Therese of Saxony-Hildburghausen, the citizens of Munich attended the festivities that commemorated the royal event. Held on the fields near the city gates, horse races marked the culmination of the royal celebration, which lasted for days. The races were so successful, it was decreed to hold it again the subsequent year. This was the beginning of the Oktoberfest tradition. In the succeeding years, an agricultural show was held alongside the horse races. It aimed to boost the Bavarian agriculture. While the horse races are no longer held today, the agricultural show remains, happening every three years… Read full this story
- Pariah Britain: Now Japan bans UK nationals over new mutant Covid strain - as Singapore and the Philippines suspend all flights from Britain - taking number of nations imposing restrictions to 56
- Hong Kong reports 70 new COVID-19 cases, Canada added to high-risk list
- Quack cure or Covid hope? Six things you can buy in the shops that scientists believe could protect against severe coronavirus infection
- VIETNAM BUSINESS NEWS HEADLINES DECEMBER 13
- New on Netflix (October 2020): All the movies and shows arriving this month
- Great gifts for foodies that will arrive before Christmas
- A Christmas platter of some of our finest articles this year
- VIETNAM NEWS HEADLINES DECEMBER 19
- VIETNAM NEWS HEADLINES DECEMBER 21
- EXCLUSIVE: She has a type…but younger! New husband of Phil Collins' ex-wife, 46, is a 31-year-old musician who's seen in unearthed videos rocking out on guitar in a cover band
- They Marched in America’s First Pride Demonstrations in 1970. They’re Still Out, Loud, and Proud.
- VIETNAM BUSINESS NEWS HEADLINES DECEMBER 12
LIST: Oktoberfest food, hangouts all over the Philippines have 358 words, post on www.philstar.com at October 3, 2018. This is cached page on Konitono. If you want remove this page, please contact us.