The Labor legend — our third-longest serving leader — “died peacefully” yesterday, immediately sparking an outpouring of tributes from Australians of all walks of life and from across the political spectrum. While our politicians have been quick to release statements commemorating the 89-year-old and his contributions to the nation, it is perhaps the deluge of tributes from everyday Aussies that proves just how beloved the beer-loving, plain-speaking Labor leader truly was. Twitter has been inundated with ordinary citizens sharing memories of meeting the former PM and growing up under his government, with many urging their followers to “put a beer out for Bob” or raise a tinny in his memory. Put your beer out for Bob #bobhawke #rip pic.twitter.com/r08QcBFtzA— Rheede Hopgood (@Rheede_Hopgood) May 16, 2019 Mr Hawke served as Australia’s prime minister from 1983-1991 and led Labor to four consecutive election victories. His death was confirmed in a statement from his wife Blanche d’Alpuget yesterday, who said he died peacefully at home. “Today we lost Bob Hawke, a great Australian — many would say the greatest Australian of the post-war era,” the statement read. “He died peacefully at home at the age of 89 years. “I and Bob’s children, Sue,… Read full this story
- Poll result: Should next Prime Minister call a snap general election? – YOU VOTED
- Editor Daily Rundown: Former Prime Minister Shot, Killed At Campaign Rally
- Prime Minister John Key would not have killed Harambe the gorilla
- Sajid Javid backs Liz Truss to be Prime Minister and blasts Rishi Sunak’s tax plans
- British Prime Minister Theresa May will tell Donald Trump that Manchester attack intelligence must remain secure
- Voting for next Prime Minister delayed by ‘hacking threat’ that could ‘change ballot results’
- Legendary ‘Friday Night Lights’ Coach Dead At 73 | The Daily Wire
- 'While she was the first, she would never be the last': Pioneering feminist Susan Ryan dead aged 77
- BJP-JD(U) At Dead End? Nitish Skipped PM-Led Niti Aayog Meet, 'Dialled Sonia Gandhi'
- 38 Dead after Twin Car Bombings at Istanbul Soccer Stadium
- Signs of a dead end for social justice politics
- Ten tonnes of dead fish pulled from river as officials issue dire contamination warning
Legendary former prime minister Bob Hawke dead at 89 have 352 words, post on www.news.com.au at May 17, 2019. This is cached page on Konitono. If you want remove this page, please contact us.