SPAIN’S King and Queen have presided over this year’s National Sports Awards which recognises the achievements of athletes from the country. King Felipe and Queen Letizia handed out a total of 12 trophies in a ceremony held at the Royal Palace of El Pardo in Madrid last week. They were joined by the King and Queen Emeritus Juan Carlos and Sofia, as well as government officials including Spain’s Minister for Sports and Culture. — Advertisement — The King Felipe Award was given to tennis player Rafael Nadal this year. The award recognises an athlete for distinguishing themselves in national and international matches, with Nadal unable to attend due to being at the Australian Open. The Queen Letizia Award went to karate star Sandra Sanchez. The award is given to female athletes in recognition of their sporting achievements throughout the previous year. Golfer Jon Rahm took home the Juan Carlos Award which also recognises an athlete for their achievements. Manchester United’s Juan Mata was given the Sofia Award for nobility and fair play in their role as a sportsperson. Other winners included Olympic athlete Maria Vicente, the A La Par Foundation special needs advocacy group, Costa Rica’s Keylor Navas, Spain’s Men… Read full this story
- Todd Heap to make speaking appearance at Ed Doherty Award ceremony
- The Queen is dead, but that voice, ‘that sound of righteousness’ will live forever
- THE NATIONAL CIVIL RIGHTS MUSEUM ANNOUNCES THE 27th FREEDOM AWARD
- 'Queen of Soul' Aretha Franklin has passed away
- Iowa's Josh Jackson among 3 finalists for Jim Thorpe Award
- azcentral sports Boys Athlete of the Week sponsored by Morehart A/C & Heating
- Meet the 2018 recipients of the Governor’s Awards in the Arts
- Emma Stone, Elisabeth Shue on importance of bringing Billie Jean King’s ‘Battle of the Sexes’ to the big screen
- Pitts: Long live the 'queen of soul'
- Fifteen Kings and Queens from Africa share Love and Build Bridges in Orlando
- Spain's King Felipe, hundreds more mark year since Barcelona attacks
- Cristiano Ronaldo wins 5th Ballon dOr award as best player
King and Queen of Spain hand out trophies at National Sports Awards ceremony have 333 words, post on www.euroweeklynews.com at January 23, 2019. This is cached page on Konitono. If you want remove this page, please contact us.