Yerica Lai (The Jakarta Post) PREMIUM Jakarta ● Thu, November 24 2022 President Joko "Jokowi" Widodo has given a nod to lawmakers' controversial dismissal of Constitutional Court justice Aswanto and the appointment of Guntur Hamzah as his replacement, setting what civil groups say is an alarming precedent that undermines the independence of the judiciary. Guntur, previously the court's secretary-general, was appointed by the House of Representatives in late September to replace Aswanto, a two-time House appointee who was supposed to end his tenure in 2029. Aswanto’s removal drew accusations of legislative overreach, as prevailing laws do not grant lawmakers the authority to remove a justice. They stipulate that a justice can only be dismissed by a presidential decree in response to a request from the court's chief justice. to Read Full Story SUBSCRIBE NOW Starting from IDR 55,500/month Unlimited access to our web and app content e-Post daily digital newspaper No advertisements, no interruptions Privileged access to our events and programs Subscription to our newsletters We accept Register to read 3 premium articles for free Already subscribed? login Or let Google manage your subscription
- Justice Department suing Georgia over state's new voting law
- Donald Trump’s appointment of Justice Amy Coney Barrett to the Supreme Court appears to have paid off
- How Supreme Court Justice Amy Coney Barrett could influence election result
- Tandav Controversy: It's Time To Introduce a Regulatory Mechanism for OTT Platforms
- Zack Snyder's Justice League Is Finally Here: A Bold New Ending, a Death and That Big Cameo - E! Online
- Justice Dept. Sues Georgia Over Voting Restrictions Law
- Justice Party head admits sexual assault, steps down
- Navi Mumbai airport: A saga of controversies
- HC asks Maharashtra why Centre nod needed for proposed home vaccination for bedridden on experimental basis
- House votes 285-120 to remove Capitol's Confederate statues, 67 Republicans vote "yea"
- House passes bill to remove Confederate statues from Capitol
- Historical Mansas Trust Controversy, AP High Court Reappoints Ashok Gajapati Raju as Chairman
Jokowi gives nod to controversial removal of constitutional justice have 319 words, post on www.thejakartapost.com at November 24, 2022. This is cached page on Konitono. If you want remove this page, please contact us.