Imprisoned Malaysian politician Anwar Ibrahim on Wednesday walked free from jail after three years and gave his full support to the country's new prime minister, his once bitter foe, Mahathir Mohamad. Anwar, the leader of the People's Justice Party (PKR) received a royal pardon for a sodomy conviction , which was widely viewed as trumped up. “I am here as a concerned citizen to give complete support to manage the country on the understanding that we are committed to the reform agenda, beginning with the judiciary, media and the entire apparatus,” he said in a news conference at his home. Read more: Malaysia election: People were ‘disgusted with government’s corruption’ Malaysians ‘demand change’ Anwar thanked Malaysian voters who he said “stood by the principles of democracy and freedom” before adding that he would take some time off before resuming his political career. Despite being in prison, the 70-year-old joined forces with Mahathir in a four-party alliance to win a shocking victory in the May 9 elections , ending more than 60 years of rule by the Basiran National coalition and ousting Prime Minister Najib Razak. Watch video 01:41 Jailed Malaysian politician could become PM One-time protege Anwar was once a protege of Mahathir,… Read full this story
- Hundreds Of Migrant Bodies Found In Malaysian Mass Graves
- Factbox: Major transfers by Premier League clubs
- From Magazines to Videos - Busy Several Weeks for Cyber Jihadis
- Man Who Allegedly Stole Michael Schumacher's Files And To Sell Them Found Dead
- Best Original Shows on Netflix, Amazon and Hulu
- Front and Center: Security at Boston's Infectious Disease Research Lab
- Wikileaks leader talks of courage and wrestling pigs
- 10 hacks that made headlines
- The year in fraud: 2015 by the numbers
- California just decriminalized child prostitutes beginning Jan 1… “legalization” stirs outrage
- Is Our Flu-Fighting Plan Flawed?
- Antonio Brown could quit over his helmet? Let us explain
Jailed Malaysian politician Anwar Ibrahim released have 300 words, post on www.dw.com at January 16, 2018. This is cached page on Konitono. If you want remove this page, please contact us.