There is a meme doing the rounds in which Prince Harry, instead of cuddling up to Meghan, is embracing Yoko Ono. You may find this hilarious. Yoko broke up the Beatles; Meghan is now ripping apart the royals. I find it racist, sexist, untrue and a sign of how little we understand our own prejudices, and those of our rulers. Yoko is a brilliant artist in her own right. She was also, if you care to remember, described at the time as “simian-looking” by John Lennon’s biographer Albert Goldman. She faced an enormous amount of racism. No one is that explicit about Meghan. Instead we have toddlerish waffle about her “exotic DNA” and her unbearable wokeness, which is clearly worse for the royal family than having someone accused of having sex with a 17-year-old in your midst (which Prince Andrew denies). One of the most excruciating things about all this is who gets to define racism, and it’s the likes of Piers Morgan and Sarah Vine, who refuse to understand either racism or indeed humility. They don’t even work hard for the money. Lazy, sloppy, big-bucks bigotry. The indisputable racism in media reports was toned down at first because Meghan’s… Read full this story
- Meghan hugs Red Sox relative as royal couple watch baseball game
- 'I just don't feel like I'm a part of Hollywood'
- Queen doesn’t want Meghan ‘to feel like another Diana’
- Birds just wanna have fun: like humans, cockatoos love to dance
- Why bosses who just won’t quit – like Theresa May – are toxic
- Prince Harry and Meghan show baby son to the world
- Happy anniversary, Harry and Meghan! A lot can happen in a year…
- Kate and Meghan to attend Wimbledon women’s singles final
- 'Thrilled' Meghan and Harry reveal the name of their baby
- Meghan and Harry give the world its first glimpse of their son
- Caitlin McBride: 'Meghan Markle is her own worst enemy'
- Meghan Markle's daily diet
It’s not just Meghan and Harry. I’d like us all to escape this dire royal circus have 332 words, post on www.theguardian.com at January 14, 2020. This is cached page on Konitono. If you want remove this page, please contact us.