at around 2pm, Margaret, a manager for a marketing company, received a phone call about her son. She was travelling for work in Wiltshire. Max, then 25, had assaulted a police officer, she was told. “I thought, ‘Oh my God, what has happened now?’” she says. Margaret drove to the flat near Bristol where Max had been living for four months. It’s a self-contained part of The Maples, a residential building for adults with moderate to severe learning disabilities and mental health problems. Max has the reading age of a 12-year-old and the comprehension of a seven-year-old. He is autistic and has difficulty telling the time. The manager of The Maples told Margaret he had called the police because Max was drunk and had broken a window. When the police came, Max was in front of the building, in the driveway. This is where the alleged assault took place, after which he was taken into custody. But there was worse news to come: Max had been shot with a Taser by the police as he tried to run away. “I was shocked,” says Margaret. “It seemed off the scale.” *** That day, Max became part of a disturbing statistic –… Read full this story
- 'The other options: What is the Norway model and is it really a decent fit for the UK?'
- What's on this weekend in Derby
- Cheap ways to stop your energy bills rising as it gets colder
- What we know about the latest Slimming World Syn changes
- Whitby and Scarborough beach hut prices set to rise in 2019
- What to expect from Plymouth's Christmas Market
- Nando's: What you shouldn't order and 18 other employee secrets revealed
- Shocking moment man ‘waving samurai sword’ in street in broad daylight is tasered by armed cops in front of terrified kids
- Man lit on fire after getting Tasered by Vancouver police, watchdog investigating
- ‘I’ll stab anyone’: armed police Taser man during six-hour stand-off in Dundee
- Anger as ‘ridiculous’ rent rises as much as £4 a week in Dundee move a step closer
- The rise and rise of coworking spaces
‘It should be the last option, not the first’: what's behind the rise in Tasering? have 336 words, post on www.theguardian.com at February 16, 2019. This is cached page on Konitono. If you want remove this page, please contact us.