Israel on Sunday advanced the planned construction of housing for Israelis in a highly sensitive area of East Jerusalem, an Israeli settlements watchdog said. Israel’s Housing Ministry confirmed it issued a tender for the construction of more than 1,200 housing units in an area known as Givat Hamatos, meaning contractors can now submit proposals. Peace Now said that Israeli construction in Givat Hamatos will “severely hamper the prospect of a two-state solution” to the conflict with the Palestinians because the Israeli neighbourhood would cut off East Jerusalem from Bethlehem. READ ALSO: Israel uncovers King David-era fortress in occupied Golan The tender was first published in February, but since then 180 additional units have been added for a total of 1,257. The final day for submitting the proposals is January 18, 2021, just days before the change of the US administration. The move may cause a confrontation with president-elect Joe Biden, a strong supporter of the two-state solution. Outgoing President Donald Trump has been an unprecedented strong supporter of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and his right-wing policies. Some 600,000 Israelis live in more than 200 settlements in the West Bank and East Jerusalem, which Palestinians hope to make the capital… Read full this story
- Israel advances plans to expand illegal settlements in West Bank
- AFP: UN agency says not aware of plan to close east Jerusalem schools
- UN agency says not aware of plan to close east Jerusalem schools
- Israel Unveils Highway in West Bank Slammed by Palestinians as 'Apartheid Road'
- Israel to Kick Off Public Discussion on Jerusalem Cable Car Project
- Jerusalem Embassy: Who Has Followed US Lead and Who is Contemplating a Move?
- US' Middle East Plan: 90 Percent of West Bank for Palestine, Divided Jerusalem
- Opinion: Why Americans like Michelle Alexander are breaking their silence on Israel
- Ultra-Orthodox Jews Up in Arms Against French Over Jerusalem’s Key Historic Site
- Female Terrorist Killed After Attempted Stabbing Near Jerusalem
- Two Officers Stabbed in Old City of Jerusalem, Attacker Shot
- Israel Starts Building New Wall Along Border With Gaza Strip – Prime Minister
Israel advances construction in highly sensitive East Jerusalem area have 326 words, post on www.vanguardngr.com at November 15, 2020. This is cached page on Konitono. If you want remove this page, please contact us.