Activision Publishing’s CEO talks to Gamasutra business editor Colin Campbell about the company’s “bad guy” reputation, his love of making great game ads, and this year’s major battle for the FPS crown.]In retrospect I ought to have begun the interview talking about ‘There’s a Soldier in All of Us’, IMO the best games ad ever created. Activision Publishing CEO Eric Hirshberg was behind that campaign and has a history of making terrific games ads. I badly wanted to talk about the games ad form, a fascinating subject. But, no. I decided that my opening gambit would be a critical appraisal of Activision’s Death Star Landing Bay E3 booth which featured a vast open space for the plebeians to gawp at the imperial majesty of the company’s wares while, presumably, CEO Bobby Kotick sat above, in a darkened room, cackling and rubbing his hands together. Hirshberg, not unkindly, said my question was “negative.” I laughed. The two PRs sitting opposite, generally agreeable fellows, did their Easter Island impressions. The room temperature dropped, slightly. This is Activision, weary of the perspective that it’s a bad guy, that its success and wealth and, yes, swagger, make it fair game to play the role… Read full this story
- After chaotic launch, Fall Guys will patch game to address issues
- Bill Burr Wants to Return to The Mandalorian and the Breaking Bad Universe [Exclusive]
- Jerry Garcia: The Rolling Stone Interview (Part 1)
- Eric Trump calls Biden's African American comments 'disgusting,' says debates will be 'absolute bloodbath'
- Judd Apatow: The Rolling Stone Interview
- Interviewing President Trump: You can't diagnose from TV clips
- Coronavirus Report: The Hill's Steve Clemons interviews Rep. Sean Patrick Maloney
- The Last Word: Seth Rogen on the Key to a Great Joke and What He Regrets About ‘The Interview’
- 'Bad police work' in Alton Sterling's death, but don't expect a conviction, experts say
- Bad Boy Chiller Crew: Today Bradford, tomorrow we take over the world
- Ben Shapiro praises NJ gym owners who 'destroyed' 'ignorant' Chris Cuomo in heated CNN interview
- Bedrooms, bad advice and the ballot: What the heck is going on in Boulder?
Interview: Activision's Eric Hirshberg On Being 'The Bad Guy' have 351 words, post on www.gamasutra.com at June 20, 2011. This is cached page on Konitono. If you want remove this page, please contact us.