Democrat Rod Blagojevich called himself a ‘freed political prisoner’ who had been unfairly persecuted on Wednesday, the day after President Donald Trump commuted his 14-year sentence. ‘It’s been a long, long journey. I’m bruised, I’m battered and I’m bloody,’ the former Illinois governor said as he dabbed his bloodied chin with a handkerchief. He said he had nicked himself shaving because he wasn’t used to using a regular razor in prison. Blagojevich was forced out of office for trying to peddle former president Barack Obama’s vacated US Senate seat. The 63-year-old Democrat was impeached and removed from office in 2009, and convicted two years later of wire fraud, extortion and soliciting bribes while serving as governor. ‘We want to express our most profound and everlasting gratitude to President Trump,’ Blagojevich told reporters and curious onlookers as he stood outside his home on Chicago’s North Side, flanked by his wife and two daughters. Nearby was a sign reading ‘Thank You Mr President’ and a heart balloon swaying in the breeze. ‘I am returning home today from a long exile, a freed political prisoner,’ Blagojevich said. Blagojevich also referred to himself as a ‘Trumpocrat,’ adding that ‘it’s been a long, long journey’. Speaking to… Read full this story
- Impeached, Imprisoned Former Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich Slams Democrats on Impeachment
- Trump Leaning Toward Pardoning Former Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich
- Rod Blagojevich: Abraham Lincoln would've been impeached by today's Democrats
- Rod Blagojevich pens op-ed from jail: 'Democrats would have impeached Lincoln'
- NY Jailbreak: Alleged Four-Time Bank Robber Freed from Prison Without Bail
- Michael Gove to call for prisoners who study hard to get early release
- Trump Berated White House Staff for Holding Off on Call with President Putin, Claims New Book
- Political prisoner freed after 23 years following death of Uzbek despot
- Suspected ISIS bride is freed from prison on bail after agreeing to pay £420
- All but six political leaders in Jammu and Kashmir to be released: Sources
- Inside Ed Orgeron's phone call with President Donald Trump; 'The President's office is calling'
- 'Holidays at home': Model Victoria Lee celebrates Christmas with her family in her hometown of Narrandera
'I'm a freed political prisoner': Dem Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich celebrates his release at home in Chicago with his family and calls himself a 'Trumpocrat' after the president commuted his corruption sentence have 362 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at February 20, 2020. This is cached page on Konitono. If you want remove this page, please contact us.