As the world remains in the grip of a deadly coronavirus pandemic, officials are questioning why Britain has failed to implement similar draconian measures seen in other countries. While Italy is in total lockdown, America shuts its doors to travellers from Europe and the streets of China are desolate, the UK appears to be carrying on as normal. Donald Trump dramatically escalated the US response to the pandemic, slapping a travel ban on continental Europe. Prime Minister Boris Johnson today chaired an emergency Cobra committee where he declared the UK’s tactics will shift from ‘containing’ the killer disease to merely ‘delaying’ its inevitable spread. Mr Johnson branded the coronavirus as the ‘worst public health crisis in a generation’ and warned that ‘many more’ will die. But he said that the government would still not impose bans on sporting events and added that closing schools ‘could do more harm than good’. With the NHS under mounting pressure, the UK’s chief medical officers and officials from the General Medical Council and NHS England have written to doctors saying they may need to work outside their usual area of expertise in the peak of an epidemic. First Minister of Scotland Nicola Sturgeon, meanwhile, warned mass gatherings must be… Read full this story
- 'I will NOT allow months more of this': Boris Johnson vows to SCRAP his Brexit Bill and challenge Jeremy Corbyn to an election before Christmas if MPs vote down his 72-hour push to pass deal and leave EU by October 31
- MPs torpedo Boris Johnson's Brexit plan: Commons votes down PM's bid to fast-track deal and hit 'do or die' October 31 date - despite threats to pull the Bill and force an election
- Calls for Europe to block a Brexit delay grow: Exasperated EU politicians insist Britain must 'finally reach a decision' after MPs block deal and Boris Johnson refused to sign extension letter
- Biarritz in lockdown as G7 summit descends on French resort
- Nick Clegg says Russia should not host World Cup 2018
- Tulsi Gabbard says Hillary Clinton has 'blood on her hands' and brands her the 'embodiment of corruption' after the former Secretary of State claimed she was a 'favorite of the Russians' as fellow Democratic candidates flock to the veteran's defense
- Revealed: Northern Irish driver, 25, who calls his truck 'The Polar Express' arrested for murder after 39 bodies - including one teen - are found in refrigerated lorry container in Essex in one of Britain's biggest-ever mass killings
- TWA85: 'The world's longest and most spectacular hijacking'
- He's the murder suspect whose alleged crime sparked the Hong Kong protests. Now he's free -- but the unrest isn't stopping
- Next Stop – The 21st Century
- Inside Facebook, Twitter and Google's AI battle over your social lives
- Friday briefing: Brexit deal comes down to numbers
How the world is responding to coronavirus: Towns on lockdown, mass-gatherings banned and increased border checks to battle pandemic... but Boris Johnson declines to stop UK sporting events and says closing schools could make the crisis WORSE have 453 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at March 12, 2020. This is cached page on Konitono. If you want remove this page, please contact us.