BERLIN: A Syrian doctor has been charged in Germany with crimes against humanity for allegedly torturing people in military hospitals in his homeland and killing one of them, German federal prosecutors said Wednesday (Jul 28). The Federal Prosecutor’s Office in Karlsruhe said in a statement that Alla Mousa, who came to Germany in 2015 and practiced medicine before he was arrested last year, is accused of 18 counts of torturing people in military hospitals in the Syrian cities of Homs and Damascus. The allegations include charges that Mousa tried to make people infertile. A federal indictment charged him with murder, severe bodily harm, attempted bodily harm and dangerous bodily harm, the statement said. Prosecutors said after the beginning of the opposition uprising against Syrian President Bashar Assad in 2011, protesters were frequently arrested and tortured. Injured civilians who were thought to be members of the opposition were also taken to military hospitals, where they were tortured and sometimes killed. In February, a German court convicted a former member of Assad’s secret police of facilitating the torture of prisoners in a landmark ruling that human rights activists said would set a precedent for other cases in the decade-long conflict. Eyad Al-Gharib… Read full this story
- Refugee Success Stories: Finding a New Life in Germany
- British ISIS 'matchmaker' and former Irish soldier-turned jihadi bride 'are held in Syrian rebel "safehouse" after escaping detention camps'
- Police, Crime Stoppers raise awareness about human trafficking in Halton region
- Turkey's operation in northern Syria splits Germany's migrant communities
- EXCLUSIVE: British teacher cleared of sex offences in England is arrested in Germany for 'contacting a pupil he is accused of having an affair with'
- Former concentration camp guard, 93, goes on trial in Germany
- Teacher cleared of sex crimes in the UK is jailed for 11 years in Spain for having an affair with a pupil he met after moving to the country for a new job
- Cancer and Health Crimes Against Humanity
- Canadian police arrest 31, lay over 300 charges in human trafficking investigation
- More than 300 charges laid, 'kingpin' identified in multi-provincial human trafficking investigation
- British teacher, 41, cleared of sex crimes in the UK could face up to 12 years behind bars in Spain over claims he abused a 15-year-old pupil
- White Girls, 11 and 10, Arrested in Alleged Hate Crime in School Bus Beating of 10-Year-Old Black Girl
Germany charges Syrian doctor with crimes against humanity have 373 words, post on www.channelnewsasia.com at July 28, 2021. This is cached page on Konitono. If you want remove this page, please contact us.