At this year’s IFA, the fourth in a row I’ve attended, a few themes are easy to pick out of all that noise. Smartwatches are looking less dorky.Samsung’s Gear S2, Huawei’s uncreatively-named Huawei Watch and the 2015 version of Motorola’s Moto 360 all feature round faces and high-quality materials that make them much more fashionable than first-generation smartwatches. They are still on the chunky side (each is thicker than the Apple Watch), but with their screens set to display traditional hour-and-minute-hand faces, they could easily be mistaken for thick timepieces that top Amazon’s best-seller lists.The Huawei and Moto watches run Google’s Android Wear, while Samsung’s uses that company’s proprietary Tizen operating system—a difference that allowed Samsung to add a clever spinning bezel that reminds me of an old iPod’s click-wheel dial.Battery life, however, remains a concern, even though these devices darken their screens automatically to prolong it (and in so doing, make it impossible to see what time it is just by glancing at them). And you can still find yourself besieged by all the notifications sent by your phone to the watch. UHD TVs are looking brighter, and so are UHD’s prospects.I haven’t been particularly sold on Ultra High Definition… Read full this story
- KU’s Self would gladly accept repeat of last year’s performance at Texas Tech
- Virginia Tech backs out of three scheduled football games at ECU
- Is the ACC the best conference in college basketball this season?
- Kansas coach Bill Self seeks improved ‘mojo’ on Saturday versus Texas Tech
- Is Bulldogs’ run defense trending the wrong way at the wrong time?
- Texas Tech races to 25-point halftime lead, blasts Kansas 91-62
- Cincinnati edges Virginia Tech in Military Bowl that goes down to the wire
- Georgia Tech stuns NC State, puts a dent in the Wolfpack’s NCAA tournament plans
- KU basketball vs. Texas Tech: Lineups, tipoff time, TV info, facts and figures
- Why Sporting KC has to like its chances Thursday to secure a spot in MLS Cup
- Iowa State earns critical Big 12 road win at No. 8 Texas Tech
- Freshman Coby White leads Tar Heels to huge win over Virginia Tech
Four trends spotted at the IFA tech conference have 363 words, post on www.usatoday.com at September 6, 2015. This is cached page on Konitono. If you want remove this page, please contact us.