Introduction Abuse and violence in the family refer to physically and emotionally harmful behaviors that occur between family and household members. It includes child abuse, child neglect, intimate partners abuse and violence, marital rape, and elder abuse. It could be a learned behavior that can be unlearned through therapy. Perpetrators try to isolate the family to keep it secret and avoid sanctions. They usually have some power and control over the other members of the family. They may rationalize the violence with their drug use. The use of cocaine, PCP, amphetamine etc may increase violent behavior.Forms of Abuse Physical abuse includes hitting, punching, shoving, stabbing, shooting, kicking, and withholding medication, wheelchair, food, and fluids. Sexual abuse includes coercion, marital rape, and withholding sex. Psychological abuse includes threat, harassment, and blackmail. Emotional abuse includes name-calling, insults, and ridicule. Economic abuse includes total control over finance, running up bills, forbidding school or work.Reality About Violence Family violence occurs at all levels of society. Separation or divorce may not end violence. Abuser does not need to be provoked. Some survivors wrongly tend to blame self. Treat the violence but also the alcohol, drug, stress, and mental health problems if any. Violence occurs between… Read full this story
- Ladies who stab: Are we failing abused women who kill?
- 'Vital' national helpline launched to support survivors of sexual harm
- Cries of Abuse in Catholic Church Start to be Heard in Japan
- Sexual abuse of underage school kids a legal, cultural failure
- The Democrats' family feud: Insults fly as the top 10 candidates go head-to-head for the first time with Joe Biden targeted for his age, bitter disputes over healthcare and candidates wrestling over who is the TRUE heir to Obama
- Cries of abuse in Catholic Church start to be heard in Japan
- Mother-of-four whose ex threatened to 'beat her baby out of her' and left her feeling suicidal launches a support group for domestic violence victims - and it's already saved 20 lives
- Housing charities and food banks report spike in donations after Tory win
- Dems Seek to Block Due Process for Mostly Male Students Accused of Sex Misconduct
- Priyanka Chopra: This is how you fight rape stigma
- Trump, terror and Brexit: Biggest stories of 2016, the year the world was rocked by tragedy
- India shaken by rape, murder of veterinarian on her way home
Family Violence and Abuse - Helping Victims and Survivors have 379 words, post on ezinearticles.com at October 24, 2008. This is cached page on Konitono. If you want remove this page, please contact us.