England’s dramatic last-gasp win over hosts Australia in the netball final at the Commonwealth Games in April was voted sporting moment of the year at last night’s BBC Sports Personality of the Year awards. On a huge night for the sport, Tracey Neville’s team also claimed the team of the year gong, although Neville herself was overlooked for coach of the year, which went instead to England football coach Gareth Southgate. England Netball will be delighted to have triumphed in two of the three biggest awards categories, though. According to the sport’s national governing body, over 130,000 women have taken up the game in the eight months since Helen Housby’s memorable buzzer-beater in the final, which ensured England became the first team other than Australia or New Zealand to win Commonwealth gold. Last night’s recognition will only help to accelerate the growth of a sport seemingly in rude health. Long-term partner Vitality recently committed to a new three-year sponsorship deal while Nike announced a sponsorship contract before England’s win over Uganda last week. The BBC and Sky have also announced a deal to broadcast every minute of the World Cup. Captain Ama Agbeze said it had been a “long journey”… Read full this story
- Voting opens for Halberg Awards sports moments of decade
- Own goal seals famous Manchester United comeback win at Juventus
- Caitlyn Jenner receives award for 'contributions that transcend sports'
- BBC Sports Personality of the Year shortlist confirmed with Lewis Hamilton favourite
- Team of the Week: Autumn Nations Cup standouts combine
- Eddie Jones hits out at 'disrespectful' critics after England victory
- 'I've been having 14 years of calling me a chucker'
- India vs Australia, 2nd T20I, Highlights: Hardik Pandya blitz, Natarajan show guide Kohli & Co to series win
- Team of the season: Our stand-out XIII from Super League and the NRL in 2020
- Azhar Ali backs Afridi and Shah to help level Test series with England
- Is England's use of signals from the balcony a big deal?
- Steve Thompson: 'I can't remember winning the World Cup'
England netball seal double success at SPOTY awards winning team of the year and best sporting moment have 334 words, post on www.telegraph.co.uk at December 16, 2018. This is cached page on Konitono. If you want remove this page, please contact us.