Location:Dubai is an emirate of the United Arab Emirates, and Dubai City is the largest city of the UAE. Dubai is east of Saudi Arabia, and located on the Persian Gulf. The country is approximately 1,600 square miles or 4,100 square kilomotres. That would make the total area three times the size of New York City, New York. The land is covered with sand dunes, with no bodies of water, and lies in the Arabian Desert.History:First records of Dubai date back to 1095, and the Dubai city’s records only date back to 1799. Due to the geographical location the city was used as a port of call for tradesmen and merchants from India. First major industry was pearl exports until the 1930’s followed by the discovery of oil in the late 1960’s. In the 1950’s, the British moved their local administrative offices to the city, bringing electricity, and telephones with them. The British also built the city’s first airport. Between 1968 and 1975 the city grew over 300% due to mostly Indian and Pakistans foreign workers who came to the area to work in the oil rigs.During the Persian Gulf War (1990) trading communities moved their businesses to Dubai, and… Read full this story
- Dukes Dubai review: Spectacular views and beautiful dining
- Discovering Dubai's luxurious hotel Le Royal Meridien Beach Resort and Spa
- Man fights Paradise fire for hours to save his disabled 90-year-old mother
- Chloe Khan showcases her incredible figure as she drinks wine by the pool and dances on a yacht in Dubai
- Desert X art exhibition heads to Saudi Arabia — and into contentious territory
- ‘Sincere Empathy’: NZ PM Jacinda Ardern Image on Dubai's Burj Khalifa
- Kayaking in Papua New Guinea: adventures in paradise
- Elena Ferrante’s Ischia: an Italian island paradise
- IN PICS: World's TOP 20 destinations for 2012
- Quora Question: What's the Impact of Electric Cars on Oil-Rich Nations?
- Makers of wine, runners of marathons
- Say hullo to Salman's latest discovery
Dubai - A Desert Paradise have 313 words, post on ezinearticles.com at September 23, 2008. This is cached page on Konitono. If you want remove this page, please contact us.