Laurie Clemens described her son, Brandon Morris, as an outgoing, all-American boy who loved to play football and go fishing. “He was always there for me,” Clemens said, “a typical mama’s boy.” On a spring day in 2015, Morris died after a heroin overdose caused him to stop breathing. Clemens said she was crushed to find her son brain dead in a hospital bed. “I never expected Brandon would stick a needle in his arm,” Clemens said. “We don’t want this to happen to anyone else’s family. The heartache is just unbearable.” At the hospital, Clemens was surprised to find out her son could be considered for organ donation, even though he was an intravenous drug user and died from an overdose. Doctors were able to match Morris’ liver to a 57-year-old grandfather named George Henderson. Within a year of Morris’ death, Clemens met the man saved by her son’s donated organ. After losing her son, Clemens said she has found a bit of hope in her friendship with Henderson, who was previously a stranger but has since become “family.” In recent years, so many people have died as a result of the nation’s opioid epidemic that it has caused… Read full this story
- John Gilbert Getty’s death is yet another tragedy for family plagued by scandal, addiction and specter of kidnapping
- COVID-19: Increasing number of children going hungry in America
- Justin Townes Earle Death Ruled an Accidental Drug Overdose
- US organ transplants increased nearly 20% in five years
- Old kidneys may be a new answer to organ shortage
- How can I check my driving penalty points, what sentence does dangerous driving carry and how many points do you get before you lose your driving Licence?
- Rage and hope fuel women’s revolt over abortion in Poland
- An infant dies, a millionaire doctor calls 911, and a tale emerges of drugs, love and suspected crime
- Middle class, professional... and forced to feed our families from food banks: They’ve lost their income, used up years of savings, put their homes on the market and even sold off furniture to make ends meet in the pandemic . Now a growing number of white-
- Rapper who filmed girlfriend dying from drugs at Bestival pictured on scooter with pals
- EXCLUSIVE: Granddaughter of Manson family victim Rosemary LaBianca is brutally stabbed to death and found 'in a pool of blood in her bed' in a chilling repeat of the infamous murders 51 years ago
- How USA has become one giant hotspot: 1,172 Americans are now dying each day - an 80% increase in just one month - while hospitalizations soar to a record 96,000
Drug Overdose Deaths Drive Increase in Number of Organ Donations: One Family’s Story of Hope From Despair have 428 words, post on abcnews.go.com at September 29, 2016. This is cached page on Konitono. If you want remove this page, please contact us.