President Donald Trump is moving aggressively to challenge the authority and independence of agency watchdogs overseeing his administration, including removing the inspector general tasked with overseeing the $2.2 trillion coronavirus rescue package that passed Congress with bipartisan support.In four days, Trump has fired one inspector general tied to his impeachment, castigated another he felt was overly critical of the coronavirus response and sidelined a third meant to safeguard against wasteful spending of the coronavirus funds.The actions have sent shock waves across the close-knit network of watchdog officials in government, creating open conflict between a president reflexively resistant to outside criticism and an oversight community tasked with rooting out fraud, misconduct and abuse.The most recent act threatens to upend scrutiny of the $2.2 trillion coronavirus rescue effort now underway, setting the stage for a major clash between Trump, government watchdogs and Democrats in Congress who are demanding oversight of the vast funds being pumped into the American economy.“We’re seeing since Friday a wrecking ball across the IG community,” said Danielle Brian, executive director of the Project on Government Oversight, a government watchdog group.The latest broadside came Tuesday when the Defense Department revealed that Trump had removed acting… Read full this story
- New Hampshire governor says he WON'T go to Donald Trump's weekend rally in the state out of 'caution' as more Republicans publicly split with president on coronavirus safety
- New poll says two thirds of Americans distrust what Donald Trump says about coronavirus as his approval rating on crisis falls to all-time low
- Donald Trump is sealing his fate as the coronavirus denier-in-chief
- Donald Trump Gave Republicans the Choice of Racism or Defeat. They Chose Racism.
- Donald Trump's disgraced fixer Michael Cohen is taken back into custody at same prison as Ghislaine Maxwell after REFUSING Department of Justice's demand to stop writing a tell-all book on the president (and breaking his curfew at a $29-a-salad restaurant)
- US Covid-19 cases cross 3 million mark, Donald Trump pushes school reopening
- Donald Trump can be forced to release his tax returns, Supreme Court rules
- Fact-check: Donald Trump team’s false comfort on schools, coronavirus
- Can Donald Trump keep his finances secret? US Supreme Court to rule on cases
- Supreme Court Deals A Blow To Donald Trump’s Effort To Keep Tax Returns Secret, But Public Won’t See Them Anytime Soon
- Coronavirus, jobs and economy: Fact-checking Donald Trump’s tweets and claims
- Donald Trump claims 'I get along with and I like' Dr. Fauci despite his own White House aides calling him 'Dr. Faucet' and distribute list of medical expert's supposed mistakes
Donald Trump upends coronavirus oversight, removing key official have 422 words, post on www.hindustantimes.com at April 8, 2020. This is cached page on Konitono. If you want remove this page, please contact us.