Donald Trump’s recognition of Jerusalem as the capital of Israel has drawn an angry and despairing response from global and regional leaders – who warned it would destroy the peace process, strengthen extremists and weaken the standing of the US in the world. In an address to reporters moments after the US president had finished speaking, the UN secretary general António Guterres said he opposed “any unilateral measures that would jeopardise the prospect of peace for Israelis and Palestinians”. “In this moment of great anxiety, I want to make it clear – there is no alternative to the two-state solution,” Guterres said. “There is no plan B.” Earlier on Wednesday Pope Francis had issued a heartfelt plea to Trump to respect the status quo of the city, and to conform with UN resolutions. The pope told thousands of people at his general audience: “I cannot keep quiet about my deep worry about the situation that has been created in the last few days.” He said he hoped “wisdom and prudence prevail, in order to avoid adding new elements of tension to a global panorama that is already convulsed and marked by so many cruel conflicts”. At the regional level, the… Read full this story
- Islamic State attacks show group is intent on killing Afghan peace hopes
- Imran Khan hopes to win over Donald Trump in first US visit
- Trump to Russia: Uncover, Release Deleted Clinton Emails
- OPINION Why Trump May Be the Better Technology President
- OPINION Under the Shadow of Steve Jobs: Why Trump May Be Unbeatable
- Forget ‘great,’ presidential hopeful Zoltan Istvan wants to make America immortal
- ANALYST CORNER Trump's Not the Only One With a Phone Security Problem
- Unlocking the best tech in Stellaris might destroy the universe
- OPINION War and Peace: HP Drops Bomb; Intel and AMD Call Truce
- OPINION Did BuzzFeed Just Commit Suicide?
- OPINION I Need a Hero
- OPINION This Election May Be Scarier Than You Think
Donald Trump risks 'destroying peace hopes of Israelis and Palestinians' have 312 words, post on www.theguardian.com at December 7, 2017. This is cached page on Konitono. If you want remove this page, please contact us.